94 explorer, poor gas mileage. . . . | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer, poor gas mileage. . . .

All I know is, when I light foot the gas pedal, the gas goes a lot farther. When your gauge is broken, which mine was, and with gas prices constantly rising, you always need to recalculate so you don't run out of gas. I guess the best thing to do is to try and keep it topped off, which I can't afford to do right now. In my area right now (today) regular gas is going for around $2.45 a gal, some places even more! I wonder how much it would cost to fill this brick up. I feel like I'm supporting my two vehicles, like there adopted kid's. I'm working for the kid's.

Correction: $3.45 a gal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOOOOAAAA, wait a min, no offense, DONT COMPLAIN if your gas is 245!!!! Mine is 345 right now, lol. I feel the pain, 62.00 to fill it up!

I'm sorry. Typo. I ment $3.45 a gal. I haven't seen that lower price for quite awhile.

lol i about had a heartattack when you said that low, i was like HOLY CRAP MAN, i would love to see that price, which we will never see again, that sucks, back in the old days, when i was a lil younger, my dad was paying 98 cents a gallon and he would ***** on the weekends when it went up to 1.00! bring them days back!

In 1967 it was .27 cents a gal.! Wish we could bring those day's back. My dad said the gas station attendant used to have a lit cigarette in his mouth while he was pumping the gas. No lie!
About as dangerous as being a cigarette girl on the Hindenberg.

I wish we could go back to them prices. You know what i love the most, the united states and other countries can make a missle so high tech that it can travel thousands of miles away, go through a wall and shove a penny up some guys ***, or we can make cameras so tiny they look like buttons, but we cant lower the gas prices, thats messed up

I wish we could go back to them prices. You know what i love the most, the united states and other countries can make a missle so high tech that it can travel thousands of miles away, go through a wall and shove a penny up some guys ***, or we can make cameras so tiny they look like buttons, but we cant lower the gas prices, thats messed up

I hear that. In a way I wish we could go Back to the Future!

....did somebody mention flux capacitor ???? :wtf: lol

what does this have to tdo with anything. you didnt even state how
YOUR M PG is....

when i got the explorer the gas mileage was around 11-12 miles per gallon, and it stayed around there for about two years, then when i got the job i worked at about a year ago i started running better gasoline, instead of kroger gas i was running bp and shell gasoline. with just the basic 87 gasoline from shell it went up to around 14-15 miles a gallon. after switching to shell/bp gasoline i added the air intake (just a cone filter) and it went up to 17, then with the 40 series exhaust it gets around 18 consistently, when i put in the v-power gas from shell it'll get 20 miles a gallon no problem.

i think the reason my mileage used to be so bad is that two teenagers owned the truck before i did, and probably never gave it a tune up or anything. hell, it had the ORIGINAL spark plugs and wires in it.

If I'm not mistaken , it's the heart of the whole time machine which would accept the 21 gigawatts of power needed to alter the whole time and space continueum flow. Of course you would still need to reach a speed of 88 miles per hour with a Delorian or an Explorer if you choose, but you would need to remove the paint from the vehicle because apparantly paint does not pass through time very well.

also haveing tires that are temp rated to 200+ F are a must .licence tags that say "out of time" should be redone to " out of money " :p: lol

when i got the explorer the gas mileage was around 11-12 miles per gallon, and it stayed around there for about two years, then when i got the job i worked at about a year ago i started running better gasoline, instead of kroger gas i was running bp and shell gasoline. with just the basic 87 gasoline from shell it went up to around 14-15 miles a gallon. after switching to shell/bp gasoline i added the air intake (just a cone filter) and it went up to 17, then with the 40 series exhaust it gets around 18 consistently, when i put in the v-power gas from shell it'll get 20 miles a gallon no problem.

i think the reason my mileage used to be so bad is that two teenagers owned the truck before i did, and probably never gave it a tune up or anything. hell, it had the ORIGINAL spark plugs and wires in it.

An intake actually increased your mileage? What type did you use and how did you relocate the MAF?
BTW I always use mobil gasoline as I believe it to be great gas. You are saying shell/BP is known to be good as well?

Sorry to jack the thread from the time machine discussion.

i think maybe that since he went to a cone filter it most likelly has more working surface area of sorts compared to a small flat reg. type air filter.on my 2005 colorado if you take the air box top off it has a cone or canister type filter element .i have noticed that if run with the box top off it raps out a lot quicker and the engine breaths easier compared to the top on and the small little 4 inch fresh air port that leads into the right fender imho.....i have a friend thats one of those know it alls and tells me that the engine does not run any better ...how in the hell do they know ??? it's my truck they never drive it ! :rolleyes:.

but got to make you wonder if have a cone type filter will give you better gas mileage if it's a better material and construction yes...but if it's seeing hot under the hood air then ...i dont know ..... i think there are other threads for that one .

gas ...mobil one gas ...guess thats good gas like ammco gas / bp etc .... ,
better gas milage could be achived better i think with that gas in it ,but stuff like josh said ...kroger ,quick trip,race trac gas , all these companies sell surplus gas and i think the quality would not be so good thus lower mpg's.

funny tho i got a echo back pack blower ( big one 60 cc engine) and for 5 years it ran like a champ till this year when chevron started putting in 10 % ethanol.now , i got to get a new carb for it because the internal power jet is shot ( the one you can't remove :rolleyes:) i think imho that it was the gas that killed it .

Since you've done a tuneup, it does narrow down possible culprits. Possible problems could be an 02 or MAF sensor giving the wrong readings, which could hurt your mileage by causing the computer to dump too much fuel into the motor. A thermostat that is not allowing the motor to come up to the proper operating temperature or a malfunctioning coolant temperature sensor.

Sorry to jack the thread from the time machine discussion.[/QUOTE]

No big woop. I already e-mailed Blacksheep Josh with the same question last night anyway, and he was very helpful. Thanks Josh. I was just being my silly self. :D

An intake actually increased your mileage? What type did you use and how did you relocate the MAF?
BTW I always use mobil gasoline as I believe it to be great gas. You are saying shell/BP is known to be good as well?

Sorry to jack the thread from the time machine discussion.

I'm not sure what kind it is to tell you the truth. My friend's Dad worked for APC Racing, he would go to shows with products to use as demos, well when APC shut down or whatever, I got about 500 dollars worth in parts. I decided to use this intake, it's pretty solid and it's not a fabric or cloth type, it's an aluminum type. Kind of like the screens on windows, but stiffer and overlapping... you can feel the suction if you place your hand around it.

As for the MAF, prior to placing the cone filter in, I upgraded mine to the 5.0L MAF housing. Just go to the junkyard, find a Ford with a 5.0L in it and get the housing, it was only about 15 dollars or so used here at the local Pull-A-Part. With it you put your own electronics in it, so you have your electronics and the used MAF. It was about a year ago that I put the cone filter in, i like this one because I can take it out, throw it in the dishwasher and when it comes out it's perfectly clean, lol.

Bp and Shell are the best gasolines in my area by far btw. My engine has 260k on the block, never been touched. I can tell a difference between Kroger gas and BP gas, and my mileage is also affected. I run nothing but shell/bp gas, whichever is cheaper. I didn't know Mobil had gasoline, I don't think we have a station here.

i think maybe that since he went to a cone filter it most likelly has more working surface area of sorts compared to a small flat reg. type air filter.on my 2005 colorado if you take the air box top off it has a cone or canister type filter element .i have noticed that if run with the box top off it raps out a lot quicker and the engine breaths easier compared to the top on and the small little 4 inch fresh air port that leads into the right fender imho.....i have a friend thats one of those know it alls and tells me that the engine does not run any better ...how in the hell do they know ??? it's my truck they never drive it ! :rolleyes:.

but got to make you wonder if have a cone type filter will give you better gas mileage if it's a better material and construction yes...but if it's seeing hot under the hood air then ...i dont know ..... i think there are other threads for that one .

gas ...mobil one gas ...guess thats good gas like ammco gas / bp etc .... ,
better gas milage could be achived better i think with that gas in it ,but stuff like josh said ...kroger ,quick trip,race trac gas , all these companies sell surplus gas and i think the quality would not be so good thus lower mpg's.

funny tho i got a echo back pack blower ( big one 60 cc engine) and for 5 years it ran like a champ till this year when chevron started putting in 10 % ethanol.now , i got to get a new carb for it because the internal power jet is shot ( the one you can't remove :rolleyes:) i think imho that it was the gas that killed it .

ethanol won't run on carbs correctly i believe. my friend had to get a carb that was made out of a different type of metal so he could run ethanol, or gas with ethanol in it.

as for underhood temps, i have a "heat shield" around the air filter, which probably doesn't do anything but looks cool. i'm trying to figure out how to suck in outside air while keeping moisture out. I'm thinking about running the air intake from the driver side but i don't know if extending the wires for the MAF will have any issues. only reason i'm considering that side is because there's more room and i can do a true cold air intake from that side.

Just drove 600 miles and averaged about 16.7 miles a gallon. Check Engine light came on during the trip and I noticed that the exhaust smelled more of gasoline. Going to have a look at the computer codes and see what happens, but I am thinking that it is a MAF or O2 sensor. BTW does this truck have one or two O2 sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back