• Register Today It's free!

94' Hub Problem?

earli

Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Howdy, I have a 94' XLT w/ 131,000 miles w/ original hubs. I'm starting to run into a funny issue with them. Parked, NOT in 4 wheel, I'll start to drive and it feels like I'm in 4 wheel and there is a loud whirring and clunking sound. I'll hit my 4 wheel button, the light comes on, the clunking and sounds stop, I'll hit the button again and then I'm fine. It did it this morning, I drove the rest of the way to work, 10 miles with no prob. Worked for the morning and when I left to go to lunch, it did it again.
Any insight as to what might be going on? I've heard that once an Explorer gets this many miles on them, a lot of people are changing to manual hubs.

Thanks, Earl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE: '95 Hub Problem?

They do have automatic hubs.

Earl, is your explorer the old style or the new style? It sounds to me like it's the old style since you mentioned a 4x4 "button".

RE: Hub Problem?

Sorry folks, I'm brain dead, it's a 1994 XLT.

Dead Link Removed

ohhh well that clears it up. It definitely sounds like your auto hubs are going.

Hey Earl:

Went back and cleared everything up in order to get the thread back on track. Good luck with the hubs!:)

RE: Hub Problem?

Dead Link Removed

you might want to take a look at these links:
Dead Link Removed and/or
Dead Link Removed

otherwise it's generally the concensus to switch to manual hubs:
Dead Link Removed
good luck
todd

My '91 Explorer had a similar problem, but one front hub would start clicking while driving down the road. A spring broke inside one of them, so I replaced both sides with manual hubs and have had no troubles since.

'94 Hub Problem

Well, it does look like an issue with my hubs. It snowed here the other day and I engaged the 4 wheel drive. Taking off slowly from a stop, I could feel all wheels pulling. As I accelerated, there would be a loud clunk and I'd be back in rear wheel drive. I slowed down almost to a stop, repeat the process and the same thing would happen. 4 wheel drive, clunk, rear wheel drive. So, I'm going to pull the hubs and see if there is grease or other foriegn objects in there, but, I imagine I'll be looking for replacements here soon. The price of the manual hubs sounds nice, but I really like the ease of the automatic hubs. What fun,,,

automatic hub noise

I just ran into the same problem with my '94 also. Took it to the dealer, they said hubs were bad so I had them replaced. It still made the same noise after the replacement, so I took it back. They then tried to explain to me that my outside u-joints were causing a bind and trying to engage the 4-wd. They replaced the u-joints and the noise has not come back. Hmmm...makes me wonder if the hubs were bad in the beginning, or if they were jacking me all the way around.
Unfortunately, I had the work done before I found this site and had auto hubs put in...still kicken' myself for that...*sigh* I will say though...they didn't charge me for the outside u-joints (parts or labor) after I complained enough about not giving me an option for manual hubs, and the fact that they told me the hub replacement would take care of the noise the first time.

My auto hubs are so worn that all they do is grind and bang...........hmmm? maybe i should get a set of milemarkers?

Back