• Register Today It's free!

94 no start

code

Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT&96 XLT
so about a week ago i moved my daily driver from the driveway to the street and it sat overnight there at about a 30 degree angle .
next morning and i go to leave for work and it shakes like hell when i crank it over. i try and turn it over for a bit before it starts to sound like a dead battery(machine gun clicks). after work i put the charger on it and i get a single click, short the solenoid on the fender and just a click from the starter.

so sounds like a bad starter ,after rolling around in the snow and getting the starter swapped out all i now get is a spinning sound when i crank the starter(sounds like a electric motor spinning) took the starter back out and checked the flex plate and it looks ok feels solid all the teeth there. I am afraid that the motor is seized up as i have tried to turn it over by hand with a breaker bar.

What do you guys think are my best options here? is the motor shot?

94xlt 230,000 auto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the battery voltage before pulling the starter? The starter solenoid will "click" like that if the battery is weak. You should have about 12.7 volts at the battery. Anything below 12.4 or so can result in the "clicking" where the engine will not turn over.

I don't see how the engine could be seized if you had it running the day before...

I know it's cold outside, but you might try removing the spark plugs then turn the motor with your breaker bar. Just on the off chance the cylinder at compression is hydrolocked with wet fuel, from all the starting attempts.

Voltage is a good 13V. and i had it on the charger before i swapped out the starter . i will try and pull the spark plugs tonight.

If the new motor just whirrs, it's not engaging the flywheel/flexplate. If your engine was seized, you'd still just hear the click.

You've either got the wrong starter or a defective starter.

Wrong starter

Thanks guys. i did some research and it looks like the starter i have is for a manual.
I just ordered the one for the auto. Hope that is the only issue i have!

Back