• Register Today It's free!

'94 wheel bearings and hubs

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
This is a followup to an earlier post, it was suggested that I should check out the wheel bearings. Today I took everything off down to the big adjusting nut, then I went to get the parts, no one had the special tool for securing the nut for auto hubs, but I did get the new bearings, seals, and grease. The Haynes manual lists two "thrust spacers" between the cam assembly and adjusting nut, but they were missing on mine. I checked with the parts guy at a Ford dealership and he's never heard of them and they weren't listed on his parts diagram. What's up with these? Do I need them? By the time I got back I had to move the truck so I put everything back on and used pliers to get secure the adjusting nut. The hub was had a ton of old grease in it and I took someone's suggestion from here and cleaned it out with ATF. This time I took more care putting the hub over the cam, last time I don't think the hub was positioned right, although it fit snugly.

I started to drive and there were no clicks so I drove around for about 10 mins with no problems. So maybe I had the hub was on wrong or the hub had too much gunk in it. I still want to change the bearings though.

Would I need different bearings if I converted to Warn manual hubs, or could I use the hardware I just bought? Is the conversion simply replace the spindle nut and hub and keep the others stuff... ring, cam, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can keep your old bearings with Warn manual hubs if you want, but since you just bought new bearings and seals you might as well put them in while you're at it.

The thrust spacers were not on my 94's hubs either. I have seen similar parts on BII's, older Explorers and Rangers but my 94 did not have them.

Same thing I was going to ask about my auto hubs - plastic spacers not on my Ford-in-drag (Mazda Navaho) {or is that "Not-a-hoe"} Anyway, was having too, too much prob w/ auto, so removed the inner splined unit that allows locking and constantly engages the half-shafts. No more spine-wrenching, hair-raising rattle or grind. "Course, no 4WD, either. Figure to replace w/ Warns, but then again, I also have a Land Cruiser FJ-40, '69 model, so if REAL hairy stuff comes up, at least I'm covered!

Dont forget if you convert to manual hubs (do it) you will need new inner and outer spindle nuts along with the lock ring washer. Most good auto parts stores carry there (carquest)

Then you can ditch the whole auto assembly spindle nut setup and that PITA little metal keeper that slides into the notched spindle...

Check your old bearings when you get them out, if they look ok once the old grease is cleaned out and they don't say "made in china", don't replace them, save some money.

410Fortune said:
Dont forget if you convert to manual hubs (do it)

Time to start the "Auto Hub Holdout" club :cool:

F14CRAZY said:
410Fortune said:
Dont forget if you convert to manual hubs (do it)

Time to start the "Auto Hub Holdout" club :cool:

I'm there; no manuals for as long as possible!!!

Auto Hub Club

I'm still all about the auto hubs. I went to a 4X4 shop in town and asked the guy there about the Warn manual hubs. He said they were good and that the auto hubs suck. I said that I didn't have the money at the time to put new hubs on. The guy there had just put the Warn manual hubs on another explorer. He asked me if I wanted the "junk" auto hubs. Of course I took them home. One of them works and the other one doesn't. I got my AUTO 4X4 working for under 30 bucks! Then I found a deal on e-bay for 2 BRAND NEW Auto hubs for $75.00. So I will have auto hubs for quite awhile to come!

As long as you know how to take care of them and how not to abuse them, they're great. Not having to get outside is something to brag about :bounce:

I wonder what would happen if someone took their woman wheeling, and asked her to fip the hubs for ya :nono:

sonik, I didnt see in your first post where it said you regreased the bearings. I hope you did this throughly. otherwise you arent going to get any more life out of the bearings.

Back