94 x budget lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 x budget lift

Reaction score
City, State
piscataway, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
whatsup yall, I just bought my first x a few weeks ago. now im not new to fords, ive had a FSbronco, and I still have a 92 f150, but with a baby on the way I figured I needed 4door daily, but I still want to do a budget lift, nothing crazy, but enough to comfortably fit my 31 MTs without rubbing. ive been.searching around here, and I know a lotta guys do coil spacers and some do f150 spring seats, but I was wondering if I could do both for a combined 3 1/2" of lift. now, I already made and installed homemade shackles for about 1 1/2" in the rear, so I was thinkin of doing an AAL back there too, if I can run the f150 seats WITH spacers as well and still be able to align it with maybe 3.5 or 4° camber bushings.. let me know what you think. I dont wanna do a body lift, and I dont wanna pay $700 for a 4" kit. thanks in advance for the input

Short answer.. No.. You can't get 3"+ of lift up front that way and keep it alignable.

Long answer: F-150 spring seat is basically used as a spacer. So, you asked if you could stack spacers.. Without getting into stacking spacers, you need to do something to fix the Axle pivot AND Radius arm angles once you go over 2" of lift..

2" of lift over stock height (not what your truck sits at now, but with new springs) is the max you can adjust out with the camber cams. Also, the camber/caster cams you see normally list the 2wd specs. You get different amounts of adjustment depending on if your 4x4 (less) or 2wd (more).

So, to get more than 2" of suspension lift you will need at least Axle pivot brackets to lower the pivot points. You should also get Radius arm drop brackets to bring the caster somewhat back to spec. If you don't you may end up with front tires that work like floppy shopping cart wheels.

Best bet, look for a 2.5" (Duff) or similar lift kit for a 4wd TTB Ranger or Explorer that doesn't use a stacked bracket. In other words, you want the driver's side axle pivot to be a single piece, not some piece of metal you bolt your factory pivot bracket to. When they are stacked, you can end up putting a hole in the top of your diff.

~Mark

ok, thanks then man. ill probably just go with spacers for now, since im only looking to fit 31s on there. eventually when I have some.more cash, and once these tires start going bald, ill probably look into going 4 inch. I was just wondering, because I figured if they come on f150s stock, and you can use a spacer lift on a 150 too, maybe I could make it work, but I know 150s seem to have a longer radius arm then the ex, I assume that helps with the angles. ill see where I end up with the 31s turned at full lock, and if they rub, ill hack up the fenders a little bit. thanks for the help.

Quite a few guys can fit 31's w/o any rub. I would try spacers under the springs if your tires won't fit without rubbing.

Back