95-97 2.3L Ranger P0340 = Timing Belt... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95-97 2.3L Ranger P0340 = Timing Belt...

bad*dawg, are you working on a 2.3 4 cyl engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 Ranger 2.3L 4X2 - Timing belt cover removal

Have found (and loosened) four bolts that attach the AC / PS bracket to the block.... 2 -10MM and 2-13 but it's still solid. Appears I do not need to rent a puller for the PS pump to get at the 2 13MM bolts. Obviously overlooking one somewhere. DO NOT attempt the 13mm bolts with a 16 point socket. I was lucky and wised up before rounding them off. Pictures of the four later.

96 Ranger 2.3L timing cover removal

Nasty!
The AC / PS bracket that's in the way is attached to the block with four bolts. One 13MM behind the compressor, One 10MM slightly below and to the right (easy to get at), and two 13MM below BUT not behind the PS pump. the PS pump does not have to be removed to get at them. I tried to leave at least one bolt loose but ended up removing all four. Suggest using eight point sockets so as not to round of a bolt head as the two under the PS pump are a bit**!
Been trying to attach a good photo for over an hour now! bummer!

96 Ranger 2.3L 4x2 - timing belt access

Indeed there were the four bolts. Had to REMOVE all four in order to get the front cover off. New belt is installed and the bracket bolted up far easier then whit I expected. Removing the crank bolt was easy with the stick shift. Put it in gear, set the parking brake, 7/8" socket and about three feet of breaker bar from the passenger side pull towards you and POP. Had to rent a puller for the pulley and had to pull it all the way off. Not comfortable with using RTV / O ring on the water pump tube along with RTV on the thermostat flange...loved the old way...gaskets.

Thanks for the information Tbars. I am currently changing the belt on an 86 2.3L ranger of my step-brother's since he can't fix anything.
Explorer's have timing chains correct?

This thread will be very helpful, seems I tried to skip a few steps in the process but should have it completed soon. Next time I will slap my step-father if he tells he the timing belts been flapping around for months and he waits until it breaks, TOW BILL, before doing anything about it.

Replaced the tranny in this ranger two years ago. It was shipped out of a place in Canada that a local trans shop order's transmissions from. Since that shop didn't have a rebuilt one. Funny since this ranger has 200k miles, and my explorer has 211k but my explorer still has the trans and engine that it had in 09/93 :D

EDIT: One question:

Crankshaft pulley, to remove this one would use a puller, but in doing so we broke two grade 8 bolt ends clean off and the crankshaft pulley is still not moving. Am I missing something?

The Hanyes manual just state's "Remove crankshaft pulley" and thus doesn't include any details :(

..I don't believe it should be different from most other pulleys being removed..

...Other than using a puller for a Harmonic balancer from your local parts store, I have applied heat to the part being removed to help assist in the removal..(Keep a fire extinguisher handy ..;) )

..When heating up with a torch for removal, the idea is to heat up only the item being removed...This expands the item which helps in the removal process..

...This may be a process that will come common practice to you living in the rust belt..:hammer:

..Let me know if this helps..

1996 Ranger 2.3L T Belt and crank pulley removal

You've probably got the pulley off by now but if not it's best pulled with a three prong puller with at least a 1" screw on the puller. Had to pull it nearly ALL the way off.

Back