95 Explorer spare tire electric winch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer spare tire electric winch?

nikolai_doubleu

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer Limited
I got a 95 Explorer Limited. When I bought it, the spare tire was inside behind the back seats. I went to put it back up under the vehicle but there is no lift gate or hole or anything except for an electric motor above where the spare would be stored. Does anyone know how to lower the cable to put the spare back where it goes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a manual winch.
The tool for it is behind the rear seat. Fold the seat down, lift that flap up and you'll see 2 rods.
Then get the breaker bar and attach it to the rods.

Open up your trunk and you'll see a hole in the very middle just above the bumper. That's where the crank is.

There is no hole. Just an electric motor above where the spare would be. The owners manual says it is a manual crank but like I said, there isn't a hole there.

Pictures of electric winch please. Otherwise we are all guessing.

i've never heard of an electric winch for the spare tire. seems like it would be a dumb idea, as you'd still have to wrestle the tire off the cable and change the flat tire all manually. strange that there's no hole in the body above the bumper, as i don't see why Ford would bother to have a special body panel if an electric winch was an option. OP - are there rods under the rear seat?

There is no hole. Just an electric motor above where the spare would be. The owners manual says it is a manual crank but like I said, there isn't a hole there.

You might have to lift up a little rubber flapper thingy to see it. Open the hatch also.

You might have to lift up a little rubber flapper thingy to see it. Open the hatch also.

yeah, i was thinking this too, i know the hole is there and sometimes i have a little trouble locating it.

The 'electric motor' is probably the box that stores the manual winch.
It's quite large.

Y'all were right. Its a manual crank. Looked like an electric motor to me lol. Thanks for your help though.

Back