• Register Today It's free!

'96 2wd auto 5.0 ABS question

GeorgeR

Reaction score
City, State
SE FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Along with my ignorance of efi engines, I am also in the same relative boat with ABS.
The guy I bought my truck from kept it garaged so the overall condition is fairly good.
However, when I first opened the hood, there was a large amount of corrosive powder on the neg battery terminal. I cleaned the terminal and reattached the cable, and it has been no trouble since.
The thing that bothers me is the obvious corrosion on the outboard master cylinder bolt, nut and the fasteners that hold the lines to the abs unit. The corrosion has destroyed the paint and caused rust on the abs housing. There appears to be some minor seepage of brake fluid on the hardware, but I can't tell for sure yet.. I am assuming that this corrosion is a result of the junk from the battery blowing onto the abs housing.
Does it make any sense to scrub this stuff off with bicarb and a stiff brush, then rinsing or am I looking at replacing the abs?
Thanks
GR

Surely someone has seen this problem????
Puleeeeeze!!
Thanks
GR

I haven't seen the problem, but if it's corrosion from the battery and it cleans off there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know of anything in the ABS that would cause the problem.

Back