96 5.0 AWD transfer case fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 AWD transfer case fluid

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited 5.0 AWD
Did a search and can't find answer even tough i'm sure it's failry simple. I am replacing my transfer case and need to know which fluid to use. Is it regular Mercon or Mercon V in the transfer case. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

either will be fine

I don't see why either would not be fine. However, it calls for Mercon. All the Mercon V bottles I have and Motorcraft branded Mercon V trans fluid says "not for use in transfer cases". Ford dealer says they now have "transfer case fluid". I bought some but am willing to bet its just regular old Mercon trans fluid with a new label and higher price. I have no idea why Mercon V would not work but it only takes a couple quarts so why chance it?

I have just bought a 2000 AWD and the owners manual says for mine 2000 Mecury Mountaineer to use Mercon in the transfer case and to use Mercon v in the transmission and not to interchange them. Of course if you look at Mercon V bottle it says not to use in tranfercase. And lots if folks say its bad on youtube. If you look at some Dextron/Merc bottles it will say good for where Mercon has been specified. Im still debating what to use but I know I wont use Mercon V for sure.

Dextron/mercon is correct.

DO NOT RUN MERCON V in the transfer case
ever ever ever
Mercon V is tooooo slick for transfer cases and will destroy them! I learned this the hard way
Ford stopped using Mercon V in all t cases and you should too
Use MERCON III / DEX in transfer cases, yes even the 5.0 AWD unit

Or you can buy Ford transfer case fluid, which is basically mercon III

Official Licensed Mercon LV is the official Ford fluid being used now. That is what you would get if you went to a Ford dealer.

Regular Mercon (or should I say Mercon compatible, because Mercon is obsolete) would work well too. Again, you have to trust they are meeting the original Mercon Spec.

There is also a "Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid" which is probably Mercon LV for a few bucks more.

NO MERCON V.

Back