96 explorer 4.0 rough idle on every start | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 4.0 rough idle on every start

Also, what is that greenish thing in the third intake hole?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the green thing under it is the gasket that goes under the fuel rail that i replaced, it looks weird i know, but thats just how its suppose to sit..

and as far as the top on the fuel rail goes, there is no actual gasket for it, just those 3 rubber gromits that go in around each port on the upper intake..

the green thing under it is the gasket that goes under the fuel rail that i replaced, it looks weird i know, but thats just how its suppose to sit..

and as far as the top on the fuel rail goes, there is no actual gasket for it, just those 3 rubber gromits that go in around each port on the upper intake..

I know about the rubber grommets(called them gaskets), but I'm wondering if it left a residue of some sort. I see some black on the sealing surface. I don't know what the oil is from.

Maybe someone else can chime in about the EGR valve O ring. Could it be sucking it back into place at startup?

thats what im thinking its doing.. as soon as i start it it gets sucked back into place. i went ahead and ordered one from ford this afternoon, it was ten bucks.. when i put it on tomorrow ill take out those rubber gromets and make sure its nice and dry under there, before i put them in i sprayed the whole intake with carb cleaner.. that might be what is on the fuel rail now.

has anyone else replaced the rubber o-ring around the egr tube??

thats what im thinking its doing.. as soon as i start it it gets sucked back into place. i went ahead and ordered one from ford this afternoon, it was ten bucks.. when i put it on tomorrow ill take out those rubber gromets and make sure its nice and dry under there, before i put them in i sprayed the whole intake with carb cleaner.. that might be what is on the fuel rail now.

has anyone else replaced the rubber o-ring around the egr tube??

carb cleaner isn't a great idea to spray into a newer cars throttle body. Was it the fuel injection safe stuff? Some of those carb cleaners are very harsh and eat seals.

i have no idea, i didnt know it ate seals. ill look at the can tomorrow and see what it says

its just carb cleaner.

i also put that seal on today, it changed nothing.. it did fit tighter around the tube though.

its just carb cleaner.

i also put that seal on today, it changed nothing.. it did fit tighter around the tube though.

what happened with the remaned MAF you bought? From your first post you stated things started going downhill with the new one. At this point its worth an exchange. I think it was mentioned in the thread too, that a maf could be defective or even may be for another vehicle. The maf core looks the same on all fords.

Without a scan tool all you can do is throw parts...

ill return it and try another one, im not sure thats the problem though. i had autozone scan the computer again, still the same 2 codes.. p0171 and p0174

no code for the MAF sensor

another thing i saw today when putting on that o-ring, is there suppose to be a flat paper type gasket for the throttle body? the only one i have on there now is the rubber o-ring type, and i noticed that its flush with the plastic so it cant be sealing anything at all.. i went to ford and they said its 21 bucks for that seal.. ill just get one from autozone. could that suck in that much air from that spot with the throttle body tightened on there as tight as it is? i would think it would leak a little but not cause this whole mess.

ill return it and try another one, im not sure thats the problem though. i had autozone scan the computer again, still the same 2 codes.. p0171 and p0174

no code for the MAF sensor

another thing i saw today when putting on that o-ring, is there suppose to be a flat paper type gasket for the throttle body? the only one i have on there now is the rubber o-ring type, and i noticed that its flush with the plastic so it cant be sealing anything at all.. i went to ford and they said its 21 bucks for that seal.. ill just get one from autozone. could that suck in that much air from that spot with the throttle body tightened on there as tight as it is? i would think it would leak a little but not cause this whole mess.

I looked up advance auto and they have the o ring seal and this:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BBK&MfrPartNumber=1588&PartType=520&PTSet=A

The oring at ford is like 3 bucks, so maybe the $21 is the flat one.

The dealer should be be able to tell you what belongs there.

The IAC has a small gasket too.

very good, when payday comes around ill order that gasket, hopefully that will fix this.

and the iac valve came with a gasket so its all sealed there.

Ok guys sorry for the late updates the internet has been down at the house. I went to autozone and got some gasket paper and made a gasket for the throttle body and so far it seems to idle perfect on every start. I unhooked the battery to reset the check engine light so i guess ill run a tank of gas and see if it comes back on

Ok guys sorry for the late updates the internet has been down at the house. I went to autozone and got some gasket paper and made a gasket for the throttle body and so far it seems to idle perfect on every start. I unhooked the battery to reset the check engine light so i guess ill run a tank of gas and see if it comes back on

such an issue over a little tissue :banghead:. At least you replaced many high mileage small items and the reliability is increased.

yeah thats true. now i want to get a good scanner that will tell me alot of info like misfires and air/fuel ratio codes and all that good stuff..

listening to my exhaust sputter gives me a feeling that somethings a little off

yeah thats true. now i want to get a good scanner that will tell me alot of info like misfires and air/fuel ratio codes and all that good stuff..

listening to my exhaust sputter gives me a feeling that somethings a little off

obd-2.com

pwm + iso

I am betting the IAC is choked with carbon. Pull it, clean it and I bet all this goes away.

IAC is brand new

that hooks straight up to a laptop right?

Yes sir! You can leave it in your car unattended and watch a movie of all your parameters when you get home. Nothing within $1000 will let you read ABS codes, ford self test!!! extended ford data, see completed OBD test results etc. Places want almost what that thing cost just to read ABS codes. He told me he is also adding lots of ABS functionality soon, reading speed sensors, bleeding, etc.

Make sure you get at least PWM ISO though, the reason being all the computers on the ex except powertrain are iso protocol.

Just used it to diagnose a bad dpfe, took me 1 minute with that thing. Needed to see ford extended data.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok sounds like a deal, but im still confused.. does it come with the software or do i download it? is it better to get the used one off of ebay which is cheaper? i dont have a laptop, thats the only problem.. i can manage getting one. i know nothing about scanners, any help and info would be great

Back