96 explorer, fuel/computer problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer, fuel/computer problem?

Gregwarro

Reaction score
City, State
Richland WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorter XLT
Ok here is the issue, a day or two after replacing an o2 sensor my wifes explorer quit starting. I noticed that the fuel pump was running but seemed to run for a really long time and untill it shut off the rig would not start.
I thought maybe it was a relay issue and replaced the pump relay with no change. Then the other day is just quit running, no fuel pump hum at all. Fuse is good, so I thought about replacing the pump but as it is a tad pricey I thought why not get a code reader to make sure that is what the problem was. I cant get the reader to link to my computer, took the reader back for a different model.. same problem. Possible that the computer is fried?

Trying to find a solution to my wifes car being out of commision... without replaceing ever part under the hood lol

Its a 96 explorer v6 4x4 with 239,000 miles on it.

code reader I am using... http://auteltech.com/ms409.htm

Check the PCM relay. I believe if it's bad the fuel pump won't work. Additionally, it may cause the problem you are having of not pulling codes.

problem solved!

ok, feel kind of dumb for this one. after reading through the forums a bit about computer issues i was in a thread and read somthing about the check engine light and the computer... was skimming and didnt really read it. But I noticed that when I turned my key on the check engind light was not comming on..

also after just cranking the engine I decided to push the rig into the garage. max of ten minutes later with the key on.. the batter was dead?!? mix of these two made me think bad ground. because a few days earlier I had changed out the factory ground cable after it broke as I was trying to remove it.

Turns out I must have done a poor job getting the smaller ground cable (of the two) hooked up. After fixing that I hooked the computer back up and as I turned on the key I heard the fuel pump, the check engine light came on and of course the code reader hooked right up....

lol

I feel dumb but at least I didnt tow it to a garage like my father and Wife kept telling me to do... (I wrench my own cars damnit):D

Back