96 LTD Edition Explorer, wipers won't "intermitten" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 LTD Edition Explorer, wipers won't "intermitten"

dfess1

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 LTD
I get the low and high wipers only, the intermitten does not work anymore. Is this a relay, or is there a fuse for just the intermitten part. Sorry, bought the car used, and didn't come with a manual, not even sure yet where the fuse box is. Any help is greatly apprecaited.

There's a good chance that the multi-function switch is bad. It's the whole turn signal stalk thing. That's what was wrong with mine.

My best guess would be the same as BriwayJones'. The multifunction switch, which operates your turn signals, windshield wipers and washer, high and low beams, and emergency flashers, is going bad. The switch os a common problem in second gen X's but usually manifests itself by means of a rather startling buzzing or, in some cases, a bit of smoke from the steering column.

You can view an owners manual for your X at: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/default_retail.asp?year=2005&vehCode=exp

I know its not too much help, but the two preceeding me are correct. on my tbird it went out...its an easy fix, costin somewhere round 40.

Back