96 XLT: rear window goes down, not up. Relay and Motor are fine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT: rear window goes down, not up. Relay and Motor are fine?

pro-five-oh

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0 AWD
Hey all, I'm a newbie but I've been a lurker for a while. I have a window problem that I really need your help with.
  1. I plugged in a new (reman Cardone) motor and the same problem is there, the window switch (either the driver's door or the passenger door) only works in the down position.
  2. The regulator moves fine, plus I tested the motor away from the regulator.
  3. I searched the forums here, found the power window relay (under the dash) and replaced it with one from under the hood. Same problem, goes down but not up.

I have no clue what's wrong here. Can someone help?

In my 93 I experienced the same problem. Was nothing to do with the motor, relay, switchon that particular door or anything. My master switch had gone out, if the second generation is anything like the first generation, the top portion (switches) should kinda just pull away/unplug from the bottom portion (where wires connect). Something in there might've gone bad.

You didn't indicate which door is the problem.... anyways, broken wire.... hint check Y/LB on the left side or Y/BK for the right.

You didn't indicate which door is the problem.... anyways, broken wire.... hint check Y/LB on the left side or Y/BK for the right.

Its the passenger door, so yellow/black it is! I'll report back if the broken wire or bad master switch(es) was the problem.

Thank you both.

Back