97 5.0L in a 91EB 2WD? Will this work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0L in a 91EB 2WD? Will this work?

I can get ahold of a 97 5.0 engine, complete except for A/C compressor and Alt for about 1k$

What all will i need to make this work in my 91X? I figure i'll need another radiator, wiring harness and computer but dont know what kind to get?

My questions are:

Is the 97X wiring harness stand alone, or will i be doing some splicing?

Will a C4/C6 tranny bolt up without many probs or am i gonna have to make a crossmember?

Can i have A/C?

What motor mounts do i need?

I know this may seem stupid but my engine is knocking and my tranny is about to go too. I want some power when i put it back together and a reman'd engine is 2200$ from O'Reillys.

What should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked out the conversions section of this site yet? they often have alot of info on it.

Also, do a search on v8 conversion and you will find alot of info there.

There is a company Advanced Adapters that has the parts you need for the conversion. Also they will know what motor to use/swap in.

Check out there website. You can also give them a call they have alot of info for v8 swap into the 91-94's

Good Luck
Hope I helped out
ToneDog

Originally posted by RFR2212
Try the search function newbie
Pete

Thanks for the help :rolleyes: I've tryed the search function

Also on AA's site, i have tryed getting their Explorer/Ranger PDF file and get page can't be displayed

I know i'll need tranny, radiator, motor mounts, headers, and so forth, my main question

Will the 97 engine wiring harness hook up to my existing 1 or will i have to do a lot of custom work and splicing?

Firstly, I'm not speaking from experience, but from conjecture. Not only is your 91 a 4.0 and the 97 a 5.0 (obviously), but the 91 is OBDI and the 97 OBDII. Therefore, much of the computer and wiring is gonna be different. I think what you'd have to do is either rewire the entire truck or: You'd have to cut your 91 computer and engine electronics out and splice the 97 computer and engine stuff into your accessory and everything else wiring.

Hey, this might sound like a crazy idea, but: How about keeping all your 91 electronics and computer and all wiring. Then put in the 97 motor and computer, but just hook it up to your ignition switch and go. Would this work? Basically running one harness/computer setup for the engine and tranny and one setup for everything else. Hmmmm.

Originally posted by Alec
Hey, this might sound like a crazy idea, but: How about keeping all your 91 electronics and computer and all wiring. Then put in the 97 motor and computer, but just hook it up to your ignition switch and go. Would this work? Basically running one harness/computer setup for the engine and tranny and one setup for everything else. Hmmmm.

LOL! No.

Sorry, but I've heard of other guys doing that with swaps.

So what do i need the stock wiring harness for? If i got the 97 Wiring harness and computer, took out my stock 1, put in the new engine, MAF, O2 sensors, computer and so forth.... why would this not work?

Originally posted by RFR2212
Try the search function newbie
Pete

I tryed searching, and can't find much that's useful to me

Dead Link Removed

You said the same thing to this guy 3 months ago, so apparently i'm not going back far enough

Originally posted by 1SLOWEXPLODER
So what do i need the stock wiring harness for? If i got the 97 Wiring harness and computer, took out my stock 1, put in the new engine, MAF, O2 sensors, computer and so forth.... why would this not work?

There are many differences between the 91 and the 97 explorer. Most important - the layout of the engine bays. If you compare the 97 to the 91 you will see many items were moved around under the hood. This being said, nothing is going to drop into place for you.

The 91 is a OBD I system (EEC IV), the 97 is a OBD II system (EEC V). Many differences between.

Before you tear apart your vehicle, I would suggest you know what you are going do to do for the wiring. It is really not as easy as other people claim it to be. Take it from me, a person who has quite a few of these wiring swaps under my belt. And if you think this is going to be a walk in the park, it won't.

Brett

but thats what im' trying to make it :D

Why couldn't i take a mustang 5.0 wiring harness and all of the electrical components, such as MAP sensor or MAF, alt, O2, distributor.... basically take the engine out of the car w/o unhooking anythingfrom it, but instead unhooking all of the hookups and soforth from the frame/firewall?

If that won't work, and if taking the 97 computer and harness and REPLACING mine with it, won't work.... i'm SOL and wouldn't have the time to do it

No one has really answered that ??... why couldn't i just replace my computer/wiring harness with the 97?not splice just completely replace?

If you want to rewire your entire truck tail light to headlight, then go ahead and replace your computer and wiring and drop a 5.0 in. If you are getting my point, there is a lot of truck functions in the harness than just the computer and engine functions. No matter how you dice it up, you will have to interface whatever swap you decide to use with the truck.

Back