97 Mountaineer 5.0 Almost Dying at Idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Mountaineer 5.0 Almost Dying at Idle

RLGDiesel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 5.0
New here...but have an annoying issue with my '97 5.0. After the first start, the idle speed stays at 1500-2000 for about 15 seconds and the car begins sputtering and dying out. My OBD II reader pulls a P0171 code, so I do not think that the MAF or IAC are at fault (no P0174 code means that it is only one bank, more than likely). Interestingly, it does not start dying out at traffic lights and other times at idle...just after a startup. The car will behave like this whether it is the first start or the millionth start of the day; it does not matter whether the motor is cold or hot but that it has just been started. What does this sound like to you? I just poured a bottle of Techron into the fuel system to begin with something easy. Thanks in advance! Lovin' the forum so far!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have a problem with the fuel pump. If the problem persists you may have to get the pressure checked. Also, how long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed? If it were mine, I would clean the maf, regardless if it's pulling the other code or not.

There is a how to thread on the forum for cleaning the IAC valve. Try this.
Be sure to get the plunger clean also, as it can get gummy and hang up.

Po171 is a lean code for bank 1. You may have a small vacuum leak at an injector base o ring--cylinder 1 thru 4 on the passenger ( right) side, a failing injector, or , possibly even a failing 02 sensor. It would be nice to see the fuel trim data from the sensors.

Do you have any other weird symptoms? do the heater and vent functions switch normally?

There is a how to thread on the forum for cleaning the IAC valve. Try this.
Be sure to get the plunger clean also, as it can get gummy and hang up.

Po171 is a lean code for bank 1. You may have a small vacuum leak at an injector base o ring--cylinder 1 thru 4 on the passenger ( right) side, a failing injector, or , possibly even a failing 02 sensor. It would be nice to see the fuel trim data from the sensors.

Do you have any other weird symptoms? do the heater and vent functions switch normally?

Kinda stumbled on this thread, and dont wanna hijack it, but I am curious about how the heater/vent functions would figure into this?? Just trying to learn, not being sarcastic.

Kinda stumbled on this thread, and dont wanna hijack it, but I am curious about how the heater/vent functions would figure into this?? Just trying to learn, not being sarcastic.

If they are not functioning correctly this could point to a vacuum leak. ;)

Yeahhhh, after I thought about it, I answered my own question. Brain must be running on 7 cylinders. Gonna go ask the wife to help me clean my MAF and IAC.

Thanks

Could someone describe (in steps, please) how to clean the MAF, IAC or post a link...I am having a hard time finding a tutorial using search. Thanks again!!

Back