97 OHV performance and my mustang... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 OHV performance and my mustang...

Ok, like it says, i have a 97 OHV explorer.
Also, i have a 94 Mustang GT, two to be exact. :thumbsup:
The stang is getting a turbo. :D :eek:
That leaves a lot of extra parts, such as cold air, MAF, TB, etc.
I'm looking for performance stuff for my OHV cuz my buddy has an F150 that i'm pretty much neck and neck with right now, and a kid at his work that is the same thing. I gotta win, just to make fun of them.
I know, get a chip, right?
What about retrofitting my stang TB to the explorer electronics and putting that on there? It's a 65mm.
Also, do the OHV's run 19 lb injectors? If so, my mustang maf should work as well, shouldn't it?
Cold air, i can figure that out.
What else?
Are there any tricks to the OHV?
What makes it such a power loss compared to the SOHC?
Can SOHC parts such as headers and intake fit on an OHV?
Would it be better to create my own intake? I'm decent with metal, and my father in law runs a machine shop.
Whatcha think?
Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking that you can not fit those mustang parts to the mounty, but I could be wrong.

The big difference other than the obvious mounting issues is that all of the mustang sensors will be calibrated differently than the Mounties.

I believe there was a discussion about using the TB off a 5.0 stang on here not to long back, and this was the outcome. Then again, wait a bit and the more knowledgeable than I will be along soon to explain.

65 MM is too large for the TB on the OHV 4.0L.

Cold air, larger MAS, 63mm TB (or massage stock)
SOHC headers will not work oh the OHV
OHV headers are expensive and considered not worth it, unless you are like me and dont care what they say.
Single 2.25 exhaust, 2.5" back from the muffler if you wish

After all this, then get a chip for the computer.

If you ask me I think your $$$ is best spent on GEARS.

The power difference between the OHV and the SOHC, well lets see, overhead cam = no more pushrods = less rotating parts/mass = more power.

the stock 4.0L intake flows quite well

You want to make some real power from a OHV 4.0L your $$$ is best spent on some head porting and a camshaft, then a computer tune

or nitrous :)

410Fortune said:

, 63mm TB (or massage stock) but a 65 is too large? what size is stock?

After all this, then get a chip for the computer. got a place for a cheap one?

If you ask me I think your $$$ is best spent on GEARS. comes with 4.10's

the stock 4.0L intake flows quite well - worth a good P&P?

You want to make some real power from a OHV 4.0L your $$$ is best spent on some head porting and a camshaft, then a computer tune - I'm pretty good at the P&P, where can i get a cheap cam?

or nitrous :) - ummm, hmm, well, daily drivvvvv... eeerrrrrrrrr maybe
Also, i can't find a link about "massageing" the stock TB, any tricks to this? Isn't it just going to be the same size at the actual flap? I'm going to try the stang TB, try to find a way to mount it with the explorer electronics and all. Hey, won't hurt to at least look! And if the maf is the same design, then i can put the electronics on my bigger stang maf at least. Cold air, no prob. I like P&P too, piece of cake. I just gotta get my stang runnin first before i rip the heads off. Oh, and like i said, cam? :D

oh, and what about a conversion from ohv to sohc? can it be done? too expensive? How would i know for sure that i have the ohv (i just assumed i did)

410Fortune said:

i have a 66mm bbk tb and it is perfect! so 65mm isnt to large

well, the stang tb definatly doesn't fit.
My exhaust is hitting the bottom and i was thinking of doing that first. But an intake is sooo much easier to do myself. Anyone make their own intake?

I made my own, though that's on a first gen.

OHV to SOHC conversion is fairly detailed and requires an entire electronic swap too. I'd go V8 over SOHC.

95offroadx said:
410Fortune said:

i have a 66mm bbk tb and it is perfect! so 65mm isnt to large

Its not to large, just requires modification to get it to fit and work properly.

In my opinion it is too large :)
The 63mm BBK Unit will already move the throttle response of the OHV and flow way more air then a naturally aspirated 4.0L will ever need.
By going larger you are just moving the throttle response, meaning when the butterfly is half open you are already flowing as much as WOT stock, or as much air as the computer can suck, so the other half of the gas pedal is just for show :)

Back