• Register Today It's free!

97' XLT quick lift question

TyHarris

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
i just ordered come copperhead fabrication 2" lift shackles for my rear leaf springs. they come unfinished cause they are not certified parts so i need to know:

1: What size hole do i need to drill for the shackle bolts?
2: What is the turn/lift ratio for a 97 ford explorer XLT's torsion bolt?
3: Any tips for the shackle swap / TT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont dont remember the size of the bolt but i think its 1/2" or better what i would do is:

when you get the bolt out size it up with a drill bit, or by going to a home improvements store if you dont have a guage.

heres a good write up on everything you shout need to know
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329062

as far as tips go spray every bolt down with some penetrating oil (as these bolts like to get stuck!) for a day or so before hand.
make sure you have a good set of jack stands, a piece of 1" pipe or something to put over the end of a ratchet for leverage.
try and park the vehicle on as level of ground as you can find, and use a tape measure to record the height at each fender both before and after the lift. good luck

thanks man. does anybody know a good way to check the height without taken it off the jack to compress the suspension? or will it show while the suspension is not compressed?

got my shackles in the mail today. gona put um on tomarow. then ima decide if i wana body lift it another 2 or 4 inches.

got the first 2 inches done last night. it looks great. ill have a picture up as soon as i figure out how to do it...

got the first 2 inches done last night. it looks great. ill have a picture up as soon as i figure out how to do it...

upload the picture to photobucket or imageshack, or any other photo hosting site. Get the URL of the image and paste it.

good luck

upload the picture to photobucket or imageshack, or any other photo hosting site.
good luck

unfortunately ive lived under a rock in the back of the barn for a LONG time so im just now figurin out all this technologicl stuff... like the internet and cell phones... so all that made little sence to me. i have a camera on my cell phone but no internet. so how do i get a picture... wait! (sorry for thinkn and postin at the same time) but ill send my Girl the picture on my phone, she can put it on facebook, i can download it then put it here! SHWEET! itll be up soon... ima wash it first. covered in mud and bird ****... :thumbsup:

even better, when its on facebook, while youre looking at it, just right click it and say "copy image location" and then paste it here.

thanks for the help with the techno-bullshit man! it was fairly clean then i passed the mud hole on the way to class and well... it aint very clean no more. pictures should be up within the week tho.

ok. i took some pictures of my truck. still a little dirty but i took um anyways. ima send um to the lady, have her post um on the facebook then ima copy um here

97' XLT lift question 2.0

ok ladies and gents, i have already lifted my 4dr. 97' ford exploder XLT 4x4 2" with a shackle/TT lift. now i wana boost it another 3" with a body lift for a 5" total lift. as always, i would like some help/guidance with this lift as well. here is my first round of questions:

1: where is the best place to get a 3" full body lift kit for a 1997 ford explorer 4x4 4dr. 4.0L OHV?
2: is there anything different i need to look out for since i have already done a 2" suspension lift?
3: on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to conduct a 3" body lift on a 97 XLT?
4: how long should it take me?
5: if i had a mechanic do it, it would be in Raleigh, NC. should i take it to 4 wheel parts or super trucks plus? im leanin towards super tucks plus due to 4 wheel parts high shop prices.

PRE-LIFT:
(lost photos)
POST-LIFT:

(lost photos)

i'll post some more after tomorrow when i get my new 31.75" general grabber AT2s put on :D

i thought that would work.... guess not... if you want to see um highlight the stuff between the img thingys and then open it in a new tab

97' XLT lift question 2.0

ok ladies and gents, i have already lifted my 4dr. 97' ford exploder XLT 4x4 2" with a shackle/TT lift. now i wana boost it another 3" with a body lift for a 5" total lift. as always, i would like some help/guidance with this lift as well. here is my first round of questions:

1: where is the best place to get a 3" full body lift kit for a 1997 ford explorer 4x4 4dr. 4.0L OHV?
2: is there anything different i need to look out for since i have already done a 2" suspension lift?
3: on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to conduct a 3" body lift on a 97 XLT?
4: how long should it take me?
5: if i had a mechanic do it, it would be in Raleigh, NC. should i take it to 4 wheel parts or super trucks plus? im leanin towards super tucks plus due to 4 wheel parts high shop prices.

thank you good sir. helpful as usual.

ended up with 31.75x10.5x15 general grabber AT2s. ill post some pictures tomorrow before and after the christening.

(lost photos)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now those pictures show and X the way it's supposed to look. What's with the chains by the way, is that just where you store them?

Back