• Register Today It's free!

97' XLT turns over but wont start

anthony3345

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
After driving the car all day problem free,the car was parked for about an hour. When i went to start the car it turned over fine,will crank but will not start. The battery is fine and the schrader valve has fuel pressure when the key is turned on. Have checked the inertia fuel pressure reset switch under the glove compartment and it appears fine. I disconnected the battery to see if the computer would reset and the car might start,no luck. Any ideas or sugestions?Also would disconnecting the battery clear the computer codes and i not be able to hook OBD2 scanner to obtain any problem codes?
I need this car for school please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with mine last year. Replaced the IAC valve and haven't had a problem since. Do a search, seems to be a common problem.

Joe

Be sure you hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key to "on". If you don't hear it, could be a relay problem or pump problem.

Thanks for the help! The fuel pump does whine for a couple seconds after turning key.Checked all the fuses,unplugged all the relays,connecters for sensors etc.,looked at all the connections,looks fine,plugged all back together.Turned key,turns over fine,but will not start.Pulled hose off TB sprayed some starting fluid in and car starts right up,no problem.Let car run few minutes,shut off,starts right back up no problem.Go fill up gas,drive around,runs perfect,shut off numerous times,starts up no problems.No check engine lights.Let sit overnight ,turn key ,will crank fine, but wont start so I spray a shot of starting fluid in TB and car starts right up,running great and no check engine lights.Any suggestions ? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Try cycling the ignition on (waiting for the FP to stop whinging) and off several times before turning all the way to start. If it starts right up, then the problem may be the check valve in the FP.

Thanks for all the help!! Checked fuel pressure at rail , 36 - 38 psi with key turned on, steady 30 psi with car running,changed fuel filter got same readings.checked and cleaned IAC,seems OK, no change.Has been starting and running fine all weekend.Are these fuel pressures OK? Still no check engine lights on. where is the check valve on the fuel system? Can it be checked/tested? Thanks again for the suggestions!!!!!

The check valve is part of the fuel pump... in the gas tank. Only way to test is see if the above cycling procedure works. If the check valve is bad, the on/off cycling gives the pump a chance to repressurize the fuel line before you try and start cranking the engine.

Back