'98 4wd SOHC. Had 3-22-10 TSB peformed by Ford for $425... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 4wd SOHC. Had 3-22-10 TSB peformed by Ford for $425...

ThunderB

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB 4.0 SOHC
Still have a 2-3 shift flare, though not as bad as before.

How involved is it to replace the EPc solenolid?

Does the valve blody have to come out?

Also wondering if the TPS could cause light shifts and flares.

Probably going to take it back to them since it is still flaring at the 2-3 shift. The TC seems to stay locked better and the truck goes in gear (D and R) a lot better, but the flare is still present. Shifts still feel a soft. Is that just how these 5R55e trannys shift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's like a doctor saying "The surgery was a success but the patient died...."

:D
Sorry to hear that, ThunderB. I replaced lots of stuff to cure my 2-3 flare, but don't know which modification it was that solved it. It could have been a new EPC, since I included one.

The EPC can be replaced without having to drop the valve body, if I remember correctly. It's simply held in by the solenoid bracket (2 bolts).

Shifts still feel a soft. Is that just how these 5R55e trannys shift?
Yes, they shift pretty smoothly. I installed a Superior shift kit when mine was apart, and that firmed the shifts up slightly. It shouldn't flare though. I'd certainly take it back to the dealer, since that was the purpose of their working on it in the first place.

ROE

I took it back and they gave my wife a '05 Focus to drive. i also suggested they adjust the bands and check the 99-16-10 TSB to see if it may apply to my truck since it was built mid-1998. That TSB also describes the same symptoms as the 3-22-10 TSB regarding missed shifts and flares. Hopefully they'll get it straight.

If you don't mind a stupid question :) what exactly does it mean if your tranny flares between shifts? I've seen quite a few threads on this and even some pics of repairs and so forth but I'm not sure I understand what it is?

Thanks
Malcolm

It's the proper term for a slip. Mine flares at the 2-3 shift which means when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the RPM rise, almost as if in neutral, and 3rd gear sometimes engages itself, and other times only engages when I let off the throttle.

Ahh OK. I can see now why that's a big deal and you'd want to get it fixed.

Thanks for explaining.
Malcolm

hey guys newbie here what are TSBs?

gatorsfan64 said:
hey guys newbie here what are TSBs?

Technical Service Bulletin

update: They said i need a new valve body at $600 for a total of $1100 with the $425 i already paid. I told them no way, just replace the EPC solenoid. The Ford retail for the EPC is $143. ouch! i hope this fixes it. I also told them to adjust the bands since the intermediate band may be a bit loose from all the 2-3 flaring. I asked them to do that the first time and they didn't, so I won't be surprised if they still didn't adjust them when I pick it up.

*Rant* I know I'm hounding them and the tranny guy doesn't want me to tell him how to do his job, but, dang man, then do your job. I get tired of doing things over that I pay other folks to do because they don't take the time to do it right or address the details. Am I asking to much to suggest adjusting the band while the truck is on a lift?

Grand total for a new EPC solenoid and the 3-10-22 TSB is going to be $568. If I only knew this would happen, I would have done it at home and saved the $300 + labor.

i really hope this takes care of the 2-3 flare. Otherwise I don't know what else to try other than installing a chip and hoping the higher line pressure takes care of the 2-3 flare. I'm tired of $500+ repair bills to fix Ford design flaws.

Wife just picked up the truck and said it shifts perfect. She drove it around for a few hours and never could get it to flare.

DEFINTELY REPLACE THE EPC SOLENOID WHEN DOING THE TSB!

BTW- Ford still didn't adjust the bands as it was not listed on the receipt. Only that they replaced the EPC solenoid "per customer request".

To all who contributed to the 5R55E rebuild diary, thanks for the advice and listing what you folks did to resolve the flare.

To my dealer, Burn's Ford, thanks for the extras, such as not charging to go back into the valve body and only charging $25 labor to replace the EPC.

To Ford, thanks for nothing. I don't appreciate jacking me of $600 on fixing a design flaw of your transmission. It scares me that this same tranny is now behind a heavier more powerful SUV. I am no longer brand loyal. Maybe next time I'll buy an American made Honda or Toyota.

ThunderB, it's good to hear that your shift flare is now history. :thumbsup:
This was a gremlin that I too was glad to see gone in mine.

As I said before, I did lots of modifications to mine, and was not sure which one finally solved the flare. Your experience seems to point to the EPC solenoid as the culprit. My solenoid only had around 50K on it when the flares started, so maybe that's the lifespan for these things?.....I hope not. Regardless, we'll see how long they last when we get more miles on the new ones.
I am no longer brand loyal. Maybe next time I'll buy an American made Honda or Toyota.
The Explorer has a German made engine in front of a French transmission. :confused: Hondas and Toyotas might possibily have more 'American' made parts than our trucks do.....now wouldn't that be bizarre.....? :rolleyes: (A buddy of mine has driven Fords/Chevys all his life, and is now looking for a Honda Accord for his wife to drive.) I hear this more and more everyday......

Happy trails,
ROE

Now on to find out what the intemittent check engine light it and to find a replacement for the deteriated factory sub, and to repair the power antennae theat stopped working. I like the truck, worlds better than the Blazer I used to drive, but I don't like paying to fix desgin flaws. Several years ago I had to pay $500 to replace the composite intake on my '97 TBird that cracked, due to a design flaw because my Bird was made in September of '97 and the replacement "campaign" on covered Birds up to July of '97.

i have 103,000 miles on my Ex. i bought it with 93,000. I imagine the reason it was traded was because of this shift flare issue. So i bought the problem, not knowing there was one until I had the tranny fluid changed. This must have washed out whatever "shift improvment fluid" the owner put in before they traded.

Anyway, my Explorer is fixed and I am looking forward to many happy miles with it now.

*Update*

136,000 miles and still doing fine. I even tow a light camper with it with no ill effects. Fianlly fixed the power antennae, a broken rear door lever, and a power lock actuator that came loose in the door. Other than the typical minor stuff, a decent vehicle. I still wished I would have bought a V8 with the 4R70W tranny.

Back