• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer vacuum line help

brandon7117

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4.0 sohc
I have a 98 4.0 sohc I recently did timing chain job and had the motor out. Since then the heater controls haven't worked. To the point I think I figured out the problem The red vacuum line that goes above right hand valve cover what line does it hook to? Also the vacuum pod thing on top of the upper intake plenum where is the vacuum line that goes to it. Its never had anything hooked to it. Ill take pics tomo if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vacuum bulb reservoir

That looks like the hose that goes to the vacuum bulb reservoir located below the air filter box. Normally you can't see the bulb even with the air filter box base removed.
Pump1a.jpg

thanks I looked back and found it before I un hooked it. Now I just gotta figure out if the line I had hooked up if it is the one that goes to the actuator thing on top of the intake. Not the IAC, I haven't figured out what it is but has a little vacuum pod on it

I looked at picture I took before I really started taking the motor apart.

Vis

The 1997 and 1998 SOHC V6 have a variable intake system that controls the length of the intake runners. VIS consists of a vacuum cylinder mounted under the upper intake manifold, a vacuum motor/actuator, and a vacuum solenoid. VIS shortens the intake runners when engine speed exceeds 3,000 rpm.
VISTop.jpg

See VIS Conversion

So I'm looking for a vacuum line coming from the canister and then it goes to the vis right? Do you know what color it is because I know a lot of them where different colors.

Yes I just need to know which line coming from the canister goes to the vis on top of the intake

vacuum regulator

I've never had VIS on my 2000 Sport so I'm just guessing but the vacuum motor/actuator (shown below)
VISMotor.jpg

should be connected to the vacuum solenoid in the lower left corner of the photo below.
VISTop.jpg

The canister is probably connected to a "T" fitting connected to the other side of the vacuum solenoid. I have a 1998 vacuum harness in my storage room and I can dig it out if you can't figure it out otherwise.

Thanks I think I see which one its supposed to go to it

Thanks for fast reply help. It was what I thought I had the vis line hooked to vacuum for the heater together cause I didn't see the red vacuum line till yesterday while doing intake gaskets

Back