• Register Today It's free!

98 explorere engine swap ?

mrwigglezdj

Reaction score
City, State
milton , florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 2wd
i have found a motor to replace the blown motor in my 98 explorer, its from a 96 explorer and still a 4.0, would it be a direct replacement? wires and all plug into the same spots ect with no special tricks needing to be done?

the motor is real clean with only 74k miles on it for $400
and if it is a direct swap ill pick it up and fill the hole in my new little toy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have found a motor to replace the blown motor in my 98 explorer, its from a 96 explorer and still a 4.0, would it be a direct replacement? wires and all plug into the same spots ect with no special tricks needing to be done?

the motor is real clean with only 74k miles on it for $400
and if it is a direct swap ill pick it up and fill the hole in my new little toy
Did you have an SOHC or OHV in the 98? The 96 can only be an OHV.

I would put that 96 in there...even if the original was an SOHC, you may have to extend a few wires. They are very similar. OHV = Very reliable, you dont have to worry about tensioner issues.

That's a heck of a price for 74K if it's complete.

I'll make a suggestion while the engine is sitting on a stand. Inspect it very carefully and look for coolant and oil leaks. Especially the head, rocker cover, and intake gaskets. If any show leakage, repair them now. Same with the rear crank seal and the soft (freeze) plugs. Things are easy to fix on the engine stand. If the engine has been cleaned and you can't see if there have been leaks, I would just reseal it anyway. I haven't seen to many OHV 4.0's that didn't have head gaskets start to seep in a few miles from where yours is. Put another $200 in gaskets, seals, bolts, etc and have a good, sealed engine. It will also give you the opportunity to look inside the engine and inspect what you have.

well im going to go to orileys and find out how much they charge for a long block, since everything that bolted to the motor appeard to be in great shape and none of the plastics were cracked or brittle, and im hopeing that they are around 650-750 for a rebuild with their famious 3 year unlimeted mileage warr.
that way i dont have to bother with a new gasket set on a newly bought motor. but if there 12-1800 for a long block then ill do like stated above and put fresh freeze plugs in while its out, and do the oil pan gasket and upper gasket set even tho it runs fine, might as well fix it before its broken in this case :thumbsup:

Back