Engine swap 98 sohc | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap 98 sohc

just curious, should I worry about changing the TIMING CHAIN tensioners on mustang engine or do I not need to worry about them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel like this is a hyjack, sorry.

BigPip, what was involved in changing from the OHV to SOHC?

I love the idea of a 2005 mustang motor. I would think there would be serious electronic mods to do though. I see you have done this. Can you clarify? Do you have a build thread somewhere I could read?

Well, actually, it will be pretty easy for me but thats just because my EX already has a SOHC computer in it. Someone pulled the original SOHC engine and put in a OHV but didn't change computers. I have all kinds of engine codes and drivability problems the way it is now. I recently purchased a SOHC out of a 98 EX that I was going to rebuild but decided this was an easier route so luckily I was able to get all the acc brackets and exhaust & intake manifold. All i need to get are the injectors and fuel rail that I didn't get.

Thanks BigPip. Somehow, I think it would be more work (And down time, as this is my Daily Driver) than its worth for me to switch to SOHC. This whole thread sounds fantastic though.

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm the 2000 ecu will be ok to use with the 1998 motor just leave the vacum valve control unpluged?
Cheers

Hi tom
I would do some research on the pin locations for the engine loom as i found the loom on a 97 had different locations in the connector to a 98

It is easy enough to strip down to swap over the loom if you have to and at the same time you could swap the intakes. Personally i would do 00m12 kit anyway before the install.
Come say hi in the UK section Uk section

Thanks for sharing the info on this swap. My Explorer will be joining the ranks of the Mustang powered Explorers this weekend. '07 Mustang 4.0L SOHC with 30k.

to make sure I understand exactly... Mustang block, internals and heads... Explorer EVERYTHING else... Is that pretty much it?

Have to subscribe to this so I can find it again... Great job!

Back