Engine swap 98 sohc | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap 98 sohc

All Good with the Mustang Powered Explorer

PIC below of my Mustang Powered Explorer.....BoooYah!!!!

Just like you said ranger, smoking and water condensation stopped after another 15 minutes running.

Good heat and hot firm return hose.

New clamp stopped the tranny fluid and the shrader valve is holding up fine without the twisted cap o-ring.

I still think I need to tighten the exhaust pipe after it cools. Sounds fine from the front, little noisy from the ****pit.

The engine sounds beautiful. Smooth as silk.

I want to thank everyone again who posted here. Especially (in no special order) 2000StreetRod, ranger7ltr, janolsson, mr2fix2it. I could never have done this without your quick thoughtful help and encouragement. I really appreciated it.

Motor Vehicle is closed on Monday, so Tuesday I will register it. Still have some houskeeping to do (wheel wells, snow flaps, hub caps, center console etc.) After a good test run I'll clean it up real purty.

Also will (when convenient) change the tranny fluid (it's nice and red right now), fuel filter and It will need shocks.

Anyway, thanks again and Happy Exploring.

Attachments

• mustang powered ex.JPG
    mustang powered ex.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 665

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations!

There's nothing like the feelings of anticipation and then satisfaction when the engine fires to life after being worked on. Aren't you glad now that you took the time to back up and install the spacer plate. My manifolds continued smoking for several 20 to 30 minute trips. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge for the first trip or two to make sure the engine doesn't overheat from air in the cooling system. I had a "tick" on one bank on my first drive. I suspect it was freed up sludge in a lifter. It went completely away after a short burst to near red line in first gear.

Make a list

It would be very helpful for other SOHC V6 owners if you could take the time to make and post a list of changes required to install the Mustang engine in an Explorer. Hopefully your Mustang engine will provide you with many years of dependable service!

Partial list for Mustang Motor Swap

Will do, once I relax a bit and collect my thoughts.
It will be easier to list what you "can" use from the Mustang. It's a very short list. The list of parts from the explorer is long and I'm sure I'll forget something. So for now:

Mustang Parts used
-Block
-Heads
-Harmonic Balancer (I would have used the ex but it was busted. It is different but seems to fit the same)
-Oil Dipstick (questionable, it's tight but works)
-Crank Position Sensor (but not the wire. It attaches differently)
-Water Pump
-Oil Pans
-Coil Pack (can use either one, but not the mounting bracket. plug wires are different lengths)

That's it. Everything else came off the explorer or new including, but not limitted to:

-valve covers
-Front accessories and mounting brackets (PS,AC,Alternator,Tensioner,Idler)
-(maybe could have used the ps pump but not the pulley or resivoir i don't think. I used all from the ex))
-Upper and Lower intake manifolds
-Exhaust manifolds
-Oil breather box (need to remove the freeze plug in the stang)
-Wire Harnesses (pcm, battery/starter, ground strap)
-All vacuum lines and sensors except as noted
-Therm housing and heater hose manifold
-Dual pressure sensor on side
-Coil bracket
-motor mount to block plates
-driveplate (flywheel)
-dirt shield between motor and trans
-starter
-oil filter adapter
-spark plugs and wires
-little bracket that holds cps wire
-fuel rail and injectors (need to remove the black spacers off of the injectors)

New parts
tensioner
idler pulley
drive belt
upper and lower intake gaskets
egr tube oring (in the intake)
plugs (ex double plat)
oil filter
trans dip stick o-ring
fuel injector o-rings
motor mount bolts
exhaust pipe studs and nuts
valve cover gaskets
exhaust manifold gaskets
oil and coolant
red locktite, anti-seize, and dielectric grease
lots of rags and speedi dry

That's what I remember for now. I will go back through my notes and clean it up a bit later.

Whoop whoop

:burnout::bounce::chug::biggthump

You are officially now one of the forum experts. I'll be calling on you when i get stuck

Well done and enjoy

Update after 20 mile test drive

Ok, it survived the maiden voyage with no major issues. I took the family for a celabratory drink at Chile's. The good news is that the engine ran real nice. Shifted fine. Temp, oil pressure and voltage on the button. Some other issues I will need to adress:
1. Definitely need to torque down the exhaust pipes and manifolds. Not real bad but I can hear it.
2. (see new thread) It makes a whining, humming noise at certain combinations of road speed and engine load. Like decelerating down an incline with a light gas pedal applied, or light steady acceleration with some momentum going up a slight grade and a moderate gas pedal. Not real loud, but more than I would say is comfortable.
3. (see new thread) Door handles are very loose on the outside and the back driver side door won't open from the inside.
4. Very slight rattle under like maybe a loose exhaust hanger or heat shield.
5. Maybe normal, but the drive belt tensioner is not real stable. It sort of wiggles up and down. No sign of any vibration on any of the other pulleys.
6. (see new thread) 4 high ok, light on dash went on. However when I switched to 4 low, it still said 4 high on the dash.

I'll drive it to work tomorrow about 30 miles each way.

NOTE: I am moving items 2, 3 and 6 to a new thread to preserve the engine swap thread. Don't want to load it up with unrelated issues. Please answer there if you have any ideas.
Items 1, 4 and 5 are relavent here.
Thanks

Transfer Case

2. (see new thread) It makes a whining, humming noise at certain combinations of road speed and engine load. Like decelerating down an incline with a light gas pedal applied, or light steady acceleration with some momentum going up a slight grade and a moderate gas pedal. Not real loud, but more than I would say is comfortable.

5. Maybe normal, but the drive belt tensioner is not real stable. It sort of wiggles up and down. No sign of any vibration on any of the other pulleys.

6. (see new thread) 4 high ok, light on dash went on. However when I switched to 4 low, it still said 4 high on the dash.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on how to determine if I should buy a transfer case. And if item 6 might be the shift motor and somehow makes #2 happen.

Also, is # 5 normal or should I be worried?

Thanks,

Thanks for this write up! My friend and I are about to do this same procedure to his 97 explorer sport. Any idea if other year mustang engines will work too like an 07?

Mustang motor

I know 05 and 06 are the same. The 04 is not a match. I really don't know about the 07 and up. If you start a thread, send me a message and I will subscribe to it and follow your progress. Good luck.

Update and PICs

Drives GREAT!!!! and looks real nice. Have put almost 200 miles on it so far.

All buttoned up, washed and cleaned up. I am real happy with the end product. It's a truck I can be proud of. Check out the pics below (I forgot to put the hub caps on, but still looks nice). Not bad for a $1900 investment including a new shop crane, engine stand, truck/trailer rental and a few new tools in the box. The actual truck, motor and and parts were only around $1,500 total.

The tr case is back in auto and has quieted down to a mild hum. The cat pipe was leaking and I saw where the previous owner put some goop in there which had fallen out. I put some more muffler putty in there and it is now "fairly" quiet. I decided to drive it a bit more before doing any more work and spend more $. It really is quite nice as is, but eventually I will do all this stuff plus shocks and fix the door handles.

Again, thanks to everyone, and happy exploring!!!!!

Attachments

• exa.JPG
    exa.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 620
  • ex interiora.JPG
    ex interiora.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 623
  • ex front.JPG
    ex front.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 606

Looks nice and great post!!!
I'll be doing the stang swap as soon as I find one and get my transmission to find reverse.

Will do. We're going to pick up the motor tomorrow afternoon and start the whole deal. The plan is just to get the old engine pulled since it's gonna be pretty breezy and raining here tomorrow

So Rydrew55...How is the new Mustang engine running?

Got any updates on the new heart of your Explorer? What kind of fuel mileage are you seeing? I am curious to how the truck feels with the new engine after a few weeks of running...

Thanks for any update...

Update

Engine is running nice and smoothe. But I have not really been driving it too much. I have been trouble shooting some driveline issues. It's been tough as I did not get any replies on the transmission forum. Moved it back to this forum, but still no replies. I got real spoiled by you janollson and streetrod who were there every time I sneezed.

So I finally decided what the heck, let's get a transfer case. Got one at the salvage yard for 125 with a shift motor. I put it in today and just dove it about an hour ago. All of the heavy noises are gone and it now goes in and out of low with no issues. Much better.

Now all that is left is a mild high pitch hum from what I think is the rear end. It changes pitch with wheel speed and you can hear it faintly all the way down to a stop. I'm thinking one of 3 things;

-wheel bearing
-u-joint
-rear end

It's definitely drivable and the mustang motor was a resounding success.

did all these problems just happen or is this all troubles you had before?

By the way my Explorer is running strong I have put on 3500 miles since I put the engine in and had No problems It runs like a new truck glad I made this choise

Sorry, forgot to mention you too.
The problems were there from the start. I bought the truck with a busted motor so I never drove it before the swap.

The transfer case was definitely shot and is fine now that I replaced it. The noise was bad and you could feel it especially when you took your foot off the gas. The remaining hum does not affect drivability, but I'd like to fix it.

Hum

Well I don't think it's the wheel bearing. The hum gets louder with gas pedal applied and pitch goes up with speed.
So u-joint? Carrier bearing? Drive shaft?

First I'll check for differential fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, forgot to mention you too.
The problems were there from the start. I bought the truck with a busted motor so I never drove it before the swap.

The transfer case was definitely shot and is fine now that I replaced it. The noise was bad and you could feel it especially when you took your foot off the gas. The remaining hum does not affect drivability, but I'd like to fix it.

Sorry couldn't help with your transfer probs as i've not had to smack mine with a hammer yet.
As for your hum have you checked the fluid in the diff. If the car wasn't looked after before it may be time for fluids change front/rear diff, tranny and brakes. However if it is a hum that says bearings somewhere to me.

Back