98 Ford Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Ford Radio

jaackdeth

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer Limited
Hi, New to the forum, hello. Question for anyone.
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Limited, and I need to know what the model number of the radio was that came stock in this truck.
I took out the radio and it got lost when I moved, and am trying to put the stock one back in. It was an AM FM cassette CD player, with changer in the center counsel. It was the Mach system, but I believe it was the premium sound one. Help please and thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There were several part number but if you look for exploder mach on ebay you will find some compatible units. I am thinking of replacing my radio but since I took it apart and took 2 dollars worth of coins out of it its been working better.

Mine was F87F-18C868-AD and I have a 99 with that Mach system.

There were several part number but if you look for exploder mach on ebay you will find some compatible units. I am thinking of replacing my radio but since I took it apart and took 2 dollars worth of coins out of it its been working better.

Mine was F87F-18C868-AD and I have a 99 with that Mach system.

Thanks, but mine is not the Mach system, it is just the premium sound one.

You could probably head on over to a local junkyard and have them help you select the right radio for your car, test it in your car and have a radio today. I mean tomorrow since its Happy Thanksgiving ! :salute:

Probably $100

That's true, was hoping I could find one on ebay to get. Put I need the number. Happy Turkey day to you btw:exporange

98 Expy Premium Radio (with RDS) Part Number:
F87F-18C868-CD

Do you have a stock subwoofer in the back of the truck?

It's got the cover for it, but not a sub woofer.

If it's got the cover, it probably had it though. You most likely had/have the wiring for the Mach system, which came with most of the Limited trucks AFAIK...

Positive you didn't have one of these, right?

9068996_1.jpg

You had this one:

727284_125_full.jpg

This was a post from Cobrajeff, the resident radio guru...

The radio shown in your post #13 is the "Mach" Dual Media radio that SHOULD have been in your vehicle. That radio has a CD mechanism (one disc only) AND a Cassette mechansim. If the guy advertised that it had "six discs" - he had to be referring to a separate six disc changer in the console.

The radio shown in your next post is NOT a Mach version - it is the "Premium" version Dual Media radio made by Ford (the "Mach" version was supplied by Pioneer). Again, this radio has a single CD and a Cassette. This radio WILL work with a remote CD changer, but it DOES not have a line-out for a subwoofer.

It's really difficult to tell them all apart without pulling the unit out and recording the part number.

regards,

Jeff

That looks like it, the cassette and cd player, but it wasn't the Mach, because I was told it would say so someplace. And mine is a carbon copy of that picture. I can't see however the cd player. Mine had one built in the radio, and then a changer in the center counsel. Thanks for posting that.

Interesting... Another post from Jeff in the old thread...

Can't tell for sure without seeing the part number on your radio, but, I think somebody swapped a non-Mach radio head unit into your vehicle. The radio you have does not have any output to the subwoofer amp. The Mach version of the head unit shown in your pictures would have a "DSP" symbol (in addition to "RDS") on the RDS button. Actually, neither one of these radios was offered on the 2000 model year Explorer.

Sorry about not having the "Mach" logo on the radio. Along with the "Ford 2000" company initiative, there was a big push to reduce cost by reducing complexity. We had to eliminate badging on the radios - no "Mach" or "JBL", not even a Ford oval (so they could use the same head unit in Fords, Mercs, and Lincolns) on the head unit.

The radio head unit that should have come in your 2000 Limited would have been a "Dual Media" radio (Cassette plus CD) with a part number F87F-18C868-AD.
regards,

Jeff

Here is the other thread, if there is some useful info in there maybe... CLICK ME

Thanks all for the posts and links, appreciate it. Will let you know. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :exporange

Back