Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! I would highly recommended doing the dana 44 first time around, as you will probably get about 1 trail run out of the dana 30. 35's or more, plus the V8 equals strength issues in axles. Your steering setup is gunna be "fun" to fabricate lol. And read up around on this site, there is a lot of great info!

Welcome! I would highly recommended doing the dana 44 first time around, as you will probably get about 1 trail run out of the dana 30. 35's or more, plus the V8 equals strength issues in axles. Your steering setup is gunna be "fun" to fabricate lol. And read up around on this site, there is a lot of great info!

I have trussed a couple XJ Dana 30. Keeps the weak tubes from bowing. I got a hook up on Chrome Moly shafts too.
I have geared about 30+ of these little Dana 30s. They are pretty tough if build them right. And when I upgrade to a 44 make the 30 easier to sell being trussed.

D30007.jpg

Here it is just picked it. Runs awesome with only 121k miles 5.0 V8. Paid 1500 bucks for it.

Just needs a couple new fenders and I will make bumper for it. :D
CIMG0498.jpg

CIMG0499.jpg

Interior needs some scrubbing but is in tack. Need a new center console lid.
CIMG0500.jpg

nice mustang love the the 5.0 lx !!!.

wow i bought my first used car in 1995 it was a mustang lx 5.0 1993 all jet black with pony rims.i was only 19 years old i hit top speed 138 miles an hour it felt like i was flying! then i lost her year later stupid me drinking and driving dont mix!!i hit a fence and did a 360 and smash my front all up.and till this day i am still looking for a 93 5.0 lx mustang!!very fun car to have!!

So I have my Currie Johny Joints and weld in bungs, 2 inch .250 wall DOM, Energy Suspensions poly bushings. Picked up a HP Dana turdy. Have some 5/16s plate for brackets. Just need steering box. I have heim joints and 1 1/2" .250 DOM for the steering. Almost ready to get going. Should have it rolling by Feb. sometime. Can't wait.

Thinking I might do 3 link front instead of radius arms. But not sure yet.

There have been lots of SAS's done with these trucks, I know you know alot about lifting and whatnot and I'm not trying to undemine you or anything. But it's always a good idea to research your possibilities. Good luck and I can't wait to see it all done. :)
What are the rest of your plans?
Keeping the 302?
Are you swapping a 4406 tcase?
Manual hubs or auto?

There have been lots of SAS's done with these trucks, I know you know alot about lifting and whatnot and I'm not trying to undemine you or anything. But it's always a good idea to research your possibilities. Good luck and I can't wait to see it all done. :)
Trust me I am not afraid to learn. I have been doing a ton of reading last few nights. Lot stuff I know cause of the Jeeps I have built and read about. And a lot new stuff.
What are the rest of your plans?
35s, Exo cage maybe, custom front and rear bumpers, sliders, SOA, 4.88 gears, and whatever cool mods I can find.
Keeping the 302?
Pretty much reason I got this rig is for the 302. Both my Fox bodies have heads and cams so I am sure I will be modding the motor sooner or later. Used to have Novi 2000 on the Blue car.
Are you swapping a 4406 tcase?
Already located Manual shift 4406 with shifter. Should be getting it very soon.
Manual hubs or auto?
No hubs at first until I swap D44 in. Dana XJ 30s don't have lock outs. Unless I wanna buy an expensive conversion kit.

So I have my Currie Johny Joints and weld in bungs, 2 inch .250 wall DOM, Energy Suspensions poly bushings. Picked up a HP Dana turdy. Have some 5/16s plate for brackets. Just need steering box. I have heim joints and 1 1/2" .250 DOM for the steering. Almost ready to get going. Should have it rolling by Feb. sometime. Can't wait.

Thinking I might do 3 link front instead of radius arms. But not sure yet.

Just an FYI three links are a PITA on these trucks. and dear god dont push the *front* axle forward or else no room for a steering box!

Just an FYI three links are a PITA on these trucks. and dear god dont push the *front* axle forward or else no room for a steering box!

LOL is there any vehicle a 3 link isn't a PITA? More I think about it more I don't even wanna spend time on the 3 link for little bit of extra flex. I like the stock wheel base of these babies so I won't be pushing it forward. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm jealous and looking forward to watching your progress!

$1500, I wish I could find that kind of deal.

:popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back