'98 Mounty 2-3 upshift delay with auto trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Mounty 2-3 upshift delay with auto trans

Jay57nj

Reaction score
City, State
Haddon Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
Hi:

I just bought my Mounty last month AWD with 106K. I've noticed a delay in the 2-3 up shift, especially when cold, but not always.

Fluid and filter was recently changed by the previous owner, and fluid is up to level and does not smell burnt.

Perhaps and electrical issue? I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

-Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know what tranny you have with the AWD but that is a common problem with the 5R55E transmission. Go to the transmission forum and read the "5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary" (the first 3-4 pages), and also read the "5R55E- Stairway to a Diary". They are in the stickys at the top of the forum. I had the 2-3 Flare and spent a lot of time working on my old Valve Body to no avail until I finally put in a remanufactured one that fixed the problem. Youll know what I am talking about after you read the diarys. If your OD light is flashing (which it most likely is or will soon) you should also stop by any transmission shop and ask them to pull the codes, they will do this for free (if they want to charge you go someplace else). And then they will proceed to tell you need a $2500 rebuild but just drive away....quickly. Good Luck.

p.s. if this turns out to be your problem you can pm me instead of posting new threads with any questions about the job.

XFatcatx:

Thanks for the information. Now for a typical newbie question, how can I tell if it is indeed a 5R55E tranny or not....VIN code perhaps?

Also, from the threads and information I've read, it appears to be more common on a 4.0L equipped vehicle? I have a 5.0L for the record.

I don't have (yet) the flashing o/d light....and this 'flare' doesn't happen each and every time I drive, as it is more intermittent in nature. Perhaps this is inicative of what is to come? Don't know....no abnormal noises, shudders or problems on the downshift side.

Their should be a placard somewhere on the drivers side door jam area. If you dont have one, buy a Hanes manual for your truck and it will give you the corrosponding code on the placard for what transmission you have. Find out what kind of trannsmission you have first, and if it is different than do a new post over in the transmission forum or ask the moderator here to move this thread over. FYI, when i had the flare i had it for a while before the OD light started falshing, and it was also intermittant at first. I drove with it for about 6 months before it was an every-shift occurance and i finally fixed it.

is it a v8?

Yes it's a V-8, 302 5.0L

OK, good to know what tranny I have.

When it does shift, it's not what I'd call hard, and it certainly doesn't seem to slip. I know all about slipping with the Chrysler's I've owned.

If I'm driving and it goes through the gears, first is fine, second just can't seem to find third at the right RPM or shift point.I can either gun it to help find third, or fade off of the gas, and resume to get third. It generally happens on the first run of the day.

Again, fluid is good, at the proper level, and no burned smell to it. No bangs or noise.

Does the 4R70W have the same 'shift flare' problem?

Back