• Register Today It's free!

Delayed/Harsh reverse

MJR1989

Reaction score
City, State
Elmira, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, new to the forums here and I have a concern I'd like some insight on. And before I go any further, yes I know there are hundreds of threads about no reverse in Explorers/Rangers, but I've searched and searched and my experience seems unique, I haven't come across a similar thread.

Anyway, on to my concern. I have a 98 Explorer XLT 4WD Auto with the 4.0 SOHC and the 5R55E. What I've been experiencing for about a month now is extremely delayed reverse / harsh reverse engagement. I bought this vehicle back in May, and it was meticulously cared for. The gentleman I bought it from kept up on all fluid services and took great care of the vehicle. At the time I bought it, it had 149,000 miles, it now has 151,000. The previous owner had a trans. service at 100,000. It shifted forward and reverse with no problems. I had basic fluid services done within a week of buying the vehicle, i.e. oil change, trans. service, coolant flush.

About a month ago, on a cold-ish morning (around 45 degrees oustide), the vehicle was very sluggish in reverse. I had to rev the vehicle up to 3-4K rpm for it to move in reverse. It didn't feel as though reverse was engaged all the way. After driving the vehicle for 10 minutes, reverse worked fine every time, no hesitation, nothing. Went right into gear.

I had the fluid checked, found that it was slightly overfilled. Had the fluid drained and filled to correct level. Issue was still present.

Now during the summer months this is my secondary vehicle, so I don't drive it very often. Every time since that initial morning when reverse acted up, it takes approximately 30 seconds to a minute for reverse to engage fully. It'll creep backwards if I rev the vehicle up, and sometimes reverse will catch with a clunk and the tires will squeal. However, once the vehicle is up to operating temp, the hesitation is drastically reduced to only a few seconds, and it'll go right into reverse. Also, if the outside temperature is above 70 degrees, it will not have so much of a problem going into reverse, the delay is significantly less.

I've checked for a broken reverse/low band by accelerating in 1st gear and letting off, and the engine braking is fine. It doesn't drop down to idle, it engine brakes as it should.

This past week, I replaced the upper and lower valve body gaskets and did a fresh fluid exchange, but the issue STILL persists. It hasn't changed one bit. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with it, as this vehicle becomes my primary vehicle during the winter months ahead, and the issue gets worse the colder it is outside. At this point I'm wondering if there is a pressure problem somewhere perhaps in the valve body itself, or if there is in fact a concern with the reverse band.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Back