A4LD forward shift delay

th0r214

Reaction score
City, State
lacey, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger 4.0 v6 XLT
Hi,
I recently added Lucas ATF conditioner to my ranger with 138k miles thinking it would help my shift delay. Shifting into drive had a delay of 2-3 seconds, it now takes 5 - 8 secs. Also the same time this delay began, drive will not shift out of 1st, I have to manually shift from first to second when it is cold. Fluid is at proper level and was changed a few months ago with new filter. Shifts strong 1, 2, 3 and goes from 4 to 3 on freeway, pretty hard clunk when putting into drive or reverse with a 2-3 second delay for reverse. Previous owner overheated engine and tranny a few years back and there was quite a bit of metal shavings on the bottom of the pan.
No other problems with this truck, any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

The metal shavings are probably not a good sign. These may be getting stuck in the valving of the trans and causing the delayed or no shifts. Did you flush the tranny, or just change the oil?

If you didn't do it, I would have the system backflushed to clean out the torque convertor and coolers as well as the trans itself. This is the best way to remove all foreign materials from the trans. Then install an aftermarket filter assembly. There is a really good article in the February 2010 issue of Four Wheeler magazine about trans filters and such.

Drive it until it dies and save for a re-built. Doing a full flush has a 50/50 shot of helping it, or hurting it. Being you have metal shaving already, I don't see a fluid flush helping very much.

A quick check is to find the vacuum diaphragm on the side of the tranny near the shift linkage. Pull off the vacuum line and see if there is any tranny fluid in it. The vacuum line should be dry. If it's wet, the diaphragm is leaking and needs replaced. I know this can cause really hard down shifting. Not sure about reverse delays.

Well my dad talked to the mechanic at his work, he works for a recycling company, and the guy said that when I added the Lucas ATF conditioner it probably knocked something loose and clogged the filter, because it only took a few seconds to go into gear before I added the stuff. Also, it sometimes doesnt go into gear until I let off the brake and give it a small amount of gas. Thanks for the help, I will post the results after I do a filter change and tranny flush.

Back