98 Mounty drivetrain into 1st gen ST? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mounty drivetrain into 1st gen ST?

1998rollover

Reaction score
City, State
Weiser, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
I'm attempting to obtain a 1st gen ST but the prices are staying crazy high, though the 2WD ones sell for less than the 4X4 ones.

I have a 98 Mountaineer, 5.0 AWD. I loooove the AWD. It's great on snowy and icy roads.

The idea is to use the Mounty as a donor. Naturally it'd be easier to swap the drivetrain into a ST that already drives all the wheels but if the parts will move over I won't have a problem swapping the front drive and of course the rear diff or the entire rear axle if required.

It doesn't matter how hard it is etc. I have the shop full of tools to do the job.

Currently on the list is swapping a 1991 2500 Chevy pickup drivetrain into a 1982 GMC 3500 flatbed to get more power, more MPG and do away with the old skool carburetor.

I'm attempting to obtain a 1st gen ST but the prices are staying crazy high, though the 2WD ones sell for less than the 4X4 ones.

I have a 98 Mountaineer, 5.0 AWD. I loooove the AWD. It's great on snowy and icy roads.

The idea is to use the Mounty as a donor. Naturally it'd be easier to swap the drivetrain into a ST that already drives all the wheels but if the parts will move over I won't have a problem swapping the front drive and of course the rear diff or the entire rear axle if required.

It doesn't matter how hard it is etc. I have the shop full of tools to do the job.

Currently on the list is swapping a 1991 2500 Chevy pickup drivetrain into a 1982 GMC 3500 flatbed to get more power, more MPG and do away with the old skool carburetor.

Sounds cool. Was there a question?

There's a couple helpful threads about swapping the 5.0 into a Sport Trac. It's doable. One is finishing up now. I'd post links if I wasn't on my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Yes, will all the front drive bits from the Mounty easily swap to the front of a 2WD Sport Trac?

I've read quite a bit about some 5.0 transplants to STs and Explorer Sports, but more info is always good.

It just boggles the mind that Ford was so expletive clueless over not having the 302 in any Ranger platform vehicle except for the Explorer and Mountaineer. SPORT Trac, Explorer SPORT. V8=SPORT. Ford, meet clue. He's been wondering why you didn't call or e-mail.

Oh, and his cousin wants to know why you wouldn't allow rear disc brakes on the pre-1989 (or was it 98?) Thunderbird with anything but the turbo 4. (And the rest of clue's family wonders why you have never built a truck the exact size of a Suburban and except for 55/56/57 have never gone head to head VS the Corvette... especially when the original 'Bird blew the 'Vette away in sales.)

Back