Swapped out ST radio bezel for 2nd Gen Explorer to get extra factory foglight switch. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapped out ST radio bezel for 2nd Gen Explorer to get extra factory foglight switch.

Yeah I cut it for the bottom switch that you may already have. All the trucks have the same mounting brackets behind them already. My stock fog switch is built in to the headlight switch, so I didn't have the same setup, but the bracket was still there. I just got a switch, marked where it went and started grinding. I guess the same thing could be done for the second fog switch as well. Don't count on them matching though. I used a dremmel and I couldn't get it to look very stock. I probably didn't use the right attachments though. Mine is really just a temporary fix so I could get it hooked up. Eventually I want to find a stock bezel from a junk yard or ebay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, I was looking at the "secondary" position. Mine has oem foglights, and I noticed the place for the extra switch when I changed the radio, but I didn't try to pop the switch out to see if it would fit the other slot - no place to mount extra lights... yet.

I'll be doing this swap shortly. I also have the oem fog switch built into the headlight knob. So my new bezel has the rear defrost and fog switch, giving me 2 extra switches to use. The fog switch will be used when I get my aux fog lights, and the other rear-defrost switch I'll have for future use for something else.

Anyways, since I won't have the existing oem fog switch, i'm wondering how I will run that 'jumper' wire that shows connecting to the oem fog switch? Can I instead connect into the rear-window switch somehow?

I have a feeling I'm gunna have a tangled mess when the time comes to do this lol.

I would wire the new switch & lights to the new relay, and leave the OEM wiring alone, so your only connection is to the switched power source. if it's the "dash illumination" wire you need and you've got an aftermarket stereo, then you could tie into the illumination wire from the stereo adapter pigtail instead of cutting onto factoty wiring... Just an idea.

I would wire the new switch & lights to the new relay, and leave the OEM wiring alone, so your only connection is to the switched power source. if it's the "dash illumination" wire you need and you've got an aftermarket stereo, then you could tie into the illumination wire from the stereo adapter pigtail instead of cutting onto factoty wiring... Just an idea.

Thanks for the tip. Just so happens I'll be installing my new Sony head unit at the time I do this swap.

Regarding the oem fog switch pigtail...does anyone know what each colored wire is for, or is there a diagram showing which wires are which?

Anyways, since I won't have the existing oem fog switch, i'm wondering how I will run that 'jumper' wire that shows connecting to the oem fog switch? Can I instead connect into the rear-window switch somehow?

Yes you can, and that's the easiest way. It's what I did. There is a red/black wire that also comes off the back of the window switch that will work for your illumination. Just tie into it. If it doesn't illuminate, you will have to open the switch up and change out the light. Seems to go out easy on these trucks. You can read up on it here.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353405

And here is the diagram you asked for.

wbzy8m.jpg

So I did my bezel swap today. This was a lot of fun and it turned out awesome! I still have to order my fog lights.... but I got both of my extra fog switches half way wired (illuminated/grounded) and ready for the fog light wireing. And the new Sony head unit sounds way better than the factory unit.

Also, the donor bezel was peeling a bit and looked crappy. I prepped it for paint and sprayed it with 2 coats of a real nice carbon color then 2 coats of a clear laquer spray. Shouldn't peel now lol. Looks great, the bad cell phone pic does it no justice.

I also ordered off ebay a white overlay for the climate control panel. Now it matches the white instrument cluster and really sharpens it up.

I'd like to thank everyone whom I've received info from!

Jason

STBezel.jpg

Looks good man. Glad to see other using this mod idea. Just gives it that clean factory look.

that looks awesome! ive already sourced my new bezel, and wiring. im just waiting for my new roof basket to come in and then im going to pick some lights and ill be putting mine together as well. can we get a pick of your light placement?

can we get a pick of your light placement?

Do you mean my fog lights? When I get them I'll post pics. They are going on my bull bar.

how could I run extra lights thru the extra fog light? how would I wire it? Could I use the 4wd nobs to control an electric fan? how would i wire that too?

The 2nd fog switch is just like any other. There's 3 wires - a load (lights), hot (power) and ground. Should just be able to connect the right wires and you've got aux lights.

sweet! haha I figured out the tailgate lights. They might not be bright enough :( still looks cool though...

Might be helpful when its really dark though

gonna take the truck for a spin soon. see whats up...

did mine not long ago as well. did it when i changed out to my double din dvd in-dash i will post a pic when possible. also to let people know you can change the rear wiper and 4X4 indicator panels easily by simply pushing them in then replace with correct panel i.e. 4x4, auto 4x4, awd, or rear wiper, rear window, etc.

Old posting but hell I'm behind the curve and getting caught up as we go along so you experts get to answer all my questions, MUAHAHAHA!!

So I got a new radio bezel has the wiper button for the power window, 4wheel drive switch and the heat/fog light switch (I apparently have all the wiring for fog lights but it was never cut out of the bumper and no switch on the bezel). My question is thusly: The little arched labels above the power window button and 4wheel drive button, how do I replace those with the ones off of my current bezel so it looks right? Thanks guys. I'll post pics once its done.

They come out with the switches. There's little plastic melted tabs and screws that hold them onto the bezel. You can see them in the 7th picture of my original post.

Thanks midnight thats what I needed. I thought (incorrectly) that those little labels were stuck onto the actual bezel not apart of the switches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I wired up my aux lights to my new switch and bezel I got from the pick n pull and I'm getting nothing. I tested my continuity, checked my grounds, and triple checked how I wired the relay. I ran power to the lights and the light up beautifully. I based my wiring on the switch on the diagram on this post. I haven't spliced in the indicator or illumination light just yet but I plan on hacking into the rear window for that, bur regardless, I think I should still be able to turn the lights on and off shouldn't I? I'm thinking its a blown relay, I had multiple switches which I plugged the harness into and it wouldn't work. Any help would be awesome.

Back