• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0 just died

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I’m having trouble with my truck again 99 5.0 5 speed 4x4 4 door.I was driving the truck today all day with no problems,while pulling into a parking lot it sputtered and died.I tried re starting it and it’s acting like it’s got no gas so I got gas and the needle went up so I know the float is working.I pressed the fuel port on the fuel rail and had to prime the key on and off about 5 times before fuel came out.it sounds like the fuel pump is going bad but I can hear it whining when I turn the key on,and I just replaced the pump a month ago.please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand of pump did you use? No way to test really without a pressure gauge.

What brand of pump did you use? No way to test really without a pressure gauge.
I can’t remember the brand but I dropped the tank and found one of those rubber hoses attached to the pump was busted so I’m going to replace it tomorrow,thank you

If you hear the pump whining from spinning, but get no pressure at the fuel rail, then I'd wonder if your pressure regulator has failed. Did you get a bare pump, or replace the whole fuel sender assembly with it, to get a new pressure regulator too?

Edit: Yeah now I see your follow up post. At this vehicle age, and having to drop the tank to get at it, I would have replaced the whole sending unit so it has new hoses and gauge sensor and pressure regulator.

If you hear the pump whining from spinning, but get no pressure at the fuel rail, then I'd wonder if your pressure regulator has failed. Did you get a bare pump, or replace the whole fuel sender assembly with it, to get a new pressure regulator too?

Edit: Yeah now I see your follow up post. At this vehicle age, and having to drop the tank to get at it, I would have replaced the whole sending unit so it has new hoses and gauge sensor and pressure regulator.
I replaced the whole pump assembly when I did the motor swap

sometimes pumps will drop, usually you first notice it when warm. make sure you replaced it with one that is v8 compatible. i know SOHC an v8 ones are the same, not sure if OHV has different specs.

99 5.0 returnless fuel, all 3 engines use same pump which provide 64+/- psi fuel pressure to the rail
Glad you found the issue
We recommend Bosch pumps only, if you go through the trouble of dropping the tank not worth installing anything inferior

do consider cutting an access hole, not sure how it works on a 2dr but on 4dr its easy

^ I think there is at least 1 topic on EF where someone cut the access panel in their 2nd gen 2 dr and took pic(s) showing where to cut. That is unless it was prior to photobucket charging for service and cutting off access to legacy pics.

I mean, I am not a hardass, but what?, this belongs in modified because?

Yup, it's dead when the pump is not connected to a proper hose to get the fuel to the engine. If releasing the schreader valve on the fuel rail and you get anything less than a spray when pump is running/or stopped and under pressure then something is wrong (Ha Ha, be sure to have an open flame nearby for best results). Why is pump running on??? The fuel line burst or came off. Perhaps it was the wrong line??? These run high pressure even for fuel injected stuff and that requires line that will handle 64psi, not your average fuel injection line and the clamps need to be tight.

^ I think there is at least 1 topic on EF where someone cut the access panel in their 2nd gen 2 dr and took pic(s) showing where to cut. That is unless it was prior to photobucket charging for service and cutting off access to legacy pics.
hmm ok good to know :thumbsup: only saw the 4dr writeup so didnt know if there was a 2dr one too. good to know

Back