99 Explorer Limited Fuel Pressure Sensor location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Limited Fuel Pressure Sensor location

DAG317

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Lmtd
Hello all...

I need to replace the gas tank on my 99 Explorer Limited, 4 door, 5.0. I have 2 options for tanks... with or without the fuel pressure sensor. Is there a way to tell if there is a sensor present other than pulling the tank and looking? Running the last 8 of the VIN at several dealerships has proven fruitless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all...

I need to replace the gas tank on my 99 Explorer Limited, 4 door, 5.0. I have 2 options for tanks... with or without the fuel pressure sensor. Is there a way to tell if there is a sensor present other than pulling the tank and looking? Running the last 8 of the VIN at several dealerships has proven fruitless.

The 8th digit of your VIN only tells you which engine you have (E, X, or P = SOHC V6/OHV V6 or V8). I've never heard of any Gen II Explorer gas tank having a "fuel pressure sensor" on/in the tank. All of mine Gen II's had a tank mounted pressure sensor, but I think it's only purpose is to monitor tank vacuum to know if there is a leak (like in the event of a bad/missing/loose gas cap). To monitor fuel pressure there would need to be a pressure sensor on the fuel line or fuel rail, and there isn't one.

All the replacement tank brands I see for sale on RockAuto look like all of mine. 3-holes on top. Large one for fuel pump assembly, one small hole for the pressure sensor, one for the line that goes to the charcoal canister.

the fuel tank indeed has a pressure sensor in it, it is not a fuel pressure sensor, it checks tank air pressure. Dont get hung up on the terminology, we know what the tank makers are talking about.

On rangers the sensor is mounted in the pump housing
In explorers it is mounted separately from the pump
So you NEED a tank with provisions for the pressure sensor YES

41ap1SPj0dL._AC_.jpg

The green is the EVAP vent hose
the little black box is the fuel tank pressure sensor
The big hole with screws is where the pump housing goes

this is the pressure sensor
71sDEFcuR5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the fuel tank indeed has a pressure sensor in it, it is not a fuel pressure sensor, it checks tank air pressure. Dont get hung up on the terminology, we know what the tank makers are talking about.

On rangers the sensor is mounted in the pump housing
In explorers it is mounted separately from the pump
So you NEED a tank with provisions for the pressure sensor YES

View attachment 319830

The green is the EVAP vent hose
the little black box is the fuel tank pressure sensor
The big hole with screws is where the pump housing goes

this is the pressure sensor
View attachment 319831

Right on... The salvage tank I bought has the same layout as the one you've shown. Now I just need to pull the bad tank off mine and see if it indeed has the sensor on top.

it does

I have dropped enough 95-01 tanks to know all 95-01 explorers have the sensor in the tank
Only RANGERS have it mounted to the pump

it does

I have dropped enough 95-01 tanks to know all 95-01 explorers have the sensor in the tank
Only RANGERS have it mounted to the pump

Right on...

Tank is down, everything disconnected except the fuel line on the top of the fuel pump assembly (fuels sending line?), which absolutely refuses to come off. I have two different "special" tool kits, and neither will get under the locking tabs on the line. I've been working at this little problem for two days now, soaking the inside of the fitting with pb blaster and a seal pick making sure it isn't just gunked up. I'm at my wits end . I'm ready to just start cutting **** off and buying the line repair kits and going to a screw together pressure line.

Any tips on how to get this thing to come apart before I just loose all patience and just start cutting?

If you're just replacing the pump you do not have to/need to remove the fuel line from the fuel pump assembly. I just remove the assembly from the tank and swing it over the leaf spring to R&R the pump. Trying to get the line off is a major PITA and you can easily ruin the retaining part of the line.

I removed the line on the first pump replacement I did. Never again. If it is necessary to remove the line I found that the tool you use makes a big difference. I struggled for hours with several types of disco tools no luck. The I went a bought a different style of disco tool set and had it off in about 1 min. The set I bought was an aluminum set of 5 different spring loaded individual sizes. It also works great on the filter. The trick to removing the lines is to be able to push the line in slightly, then push the tool in a pull. The thing that makes the FP assembly line difficult is that you can;t push to tool in easily. You need 3 hands in a 2-hand space.

Tip: To get a little more flexibility on the line, push the plastic x-mas tree clip out of the frame rail.

If you're just replacing the pump you do not have to/need to remove the fuel line from the fuel pump assembly. I just remove the assembly from the tank and swing it over the leaf spring to remove the R&R the pump. Trying to get the line off is a major PITA and you can easily ruin the retaining part of the line.
Have to replace the tank. Fuel neck inlet nipple rotted off at the tank.

Have to replace the tank. Fuel neck inlet nipple rotted off at the tank.

Sorry, I may be confusing you with a different thread but... Once the assembly is out of the tank you can slide it right out. No need to remove the fuel line.

Back