Solved - 99 Explorer shocks for daily driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 99 Explorer shocks for daily driving

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Lee's Automotive

Git-R-Done
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hey guys so I'm looking at getting shocks since all of mine are original, I've been looking at the Monro Matic plus and was wondering if they are any good? the part numbers are 32253 32346

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never used the monroematic, but i can say that when my rig was stock, i liked kyb gas adjusts, firmer than stock, but in no way harsh. if you carry loads in the rear, air shocks are nice. if you want somethign one step firmer from the kybs rancho rs5000s are what i got now, but stock i think the kybs are the best blend of firm yet comfortable.

never used the monroematic, but i can say that when my rig was stock, i liked kyb gas adjusts, firmer than stock, but in no way harsh. if you carry loads in the rear, air shocks are nice. if you want somethign one step firmer from the kybs rancho rs5000s are what i got now, but stock i think the kybs are the best blend of firm yet comfortable.
Yeah its basically just a daily now no off road or heavy loads anymore just using it to get to work and back

then imo of the ones ive used, the gas ajusts are my vote :D calling @Stic-o our resident shock expert;)

also the excelGs by kyb are softer, but in my opinion i dont like em as much, i like firm and controlled, but not rough, but imo the excelGs too soft for me. guess theres always th rs9000 cause its adjustable, so you set the stiffness

@Lee's Automotive

KYB Gas A Just - but for a 2 door my emphasis was on handling - which a two door does extremely well.

The KYB's start out a little stiff which can initially cause the rear end to skip over very rough surfaces, but as they settle in they're a very controlled ride and are pretty resistant to fade on wavy pavement.

For all the taxes we pay, our roads suck in the PRK

Hope that helps -

@Lee's Automotive

KYB Gas A Just - but for a 2 door my emphasis was on handling - which a two door does extremely well.

The KYB's start out a little stiff which can initially cause the rear end to skip over very rough surfaces, but as they settle in they're a very controlled ride and are pretty resistant to fade on wavy pavement.

For all the taxes we pay, our roads suck in the PRK

Hope that helps -
It does thanks

then imo of the ones ive used, the gas ajusts are my vote :D calling @Stic-o our resident shock expert;)

also the excelGs by kyb are softer, but in my opinion i dont like em as much, i like firm and controlled, but not rough, but imo the excelGs too soft for me. guess theres always th rs9000 cause its adjustable, so you set the stiffness
What's your opinion on the RANCHO RS5185 RANCHO RS55229

So, I'm basically looking for something with lifetime warranty, so I don't have to keep buying shocks I found some shocks at advance from Monroe and wondering if they are different the part numbers are 59332 59371

What's your opinion on the RANCHO RS5185 RANCHO RS55229
i got the rs5000s in the back right now! i like em, but on the road i like the gas ajusts better imo. these are a bit stiffer, and imo i feel the same amount of control as i did with the gas ajusts, but offroad these are better, and towing also. alot of this is subjective to opinion! :D but given your usage, i would reccomend the gas ajusts

I would suggest a Bilstein 4600, or go with the KYB's. Monroe and Rancho are the same company. We have seen a lot of Rancho quality issues over the last 2 years.

This is coming from someone who does shocks for a living.

I would suggest a Bilstein 4600, or go with the KYB's. Monroe and Rancho are the same company. We have seen a lot of Rancho quality issues over the last 2 years.

Ok i will be looking for some kyb or Bilstein thanks so much

We have seen a lot of Rancho quality issues over the last 2 years.
interesting. my rs5000s havent had an issue yet ;) fingers crossed.... and ditto on the bilstiens, but theyre abit pricey compared to the gas ajusts.

Does it matter what kyb i use?

imo kyb gas ajust is best for your use. excel G aint my personal choice, not firm enough, monomax is good for towing and froading, one step above the gas ajust imo. after my current gas ajusts wear out, i think ill use the monomax up front. but lets see what stic says!

I like the 4600s I used. They're very controlled, I can cruise at 60-70 on washboard gravel roads and it's very controlled, can even get airborne a bit as long as your not hammering off the bumps on take off it's pretty smooth.

Speed bumps? Just drive through em.

So, I'm basically looking for something with lifetime warranty, so I don't have to keep buying shocks I found some shocks at advance from Monroe and wondering if they are different the part numbers are 59332 59371
@Lee's Automotive

I dunno if this is YOUR case with shocks, but I will pass on what I know has been occurring the past few years in the aftermarket auto parts business, to protect small Mom& Pop shops.

Mom&Pop auto supply shops DO NOT want to honor warranties of auto parts purchased at a substantial discount at BIG BOX auto part shops (Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Costco, Walmart, Sams, Rock Auto, etc...).

The reason is that M&P shops have to take product off of their shelf, fill out reams of warranty paperwork, and use their labor & money to send back the faulty product to the MFG. Then, they have the lead time to wait for the warrantied replacement parts to come back to them, and only then they can finally re-stock and sell. They could have missed out on selling their part three times during the warranty replacement process...

So, what manufacturers do, is they supply the same item to BOTH mom & pop and big box retailer, BUT they change assign DIFFERENT MODEL NUMBERS & SPECIALIZED SERIAL NUMBERS so that if you buy from a big box, you cannot have the warranty acted upon at Mom & Pop's shop.

The Model Number of a Monroe shock sold by M&P will be different model number (for example A123) than one sold by Auto Zone (B456). When you try to bring a B456 to a M&P, they shut you down and say we don't sell nor warrant that model.

The was a big discussion about this on another car forum I frequent, regarding "Nationwide Brand" Car Batteries sold at Costco at a substantial discount form M&P retailers.

A Costco Nationwide Battery buyer was stuck on the road and trying to get a warranty "swap" on a bad one at a M&P Nationwide Distributor that was located in the parking lot he was stuck in.

M&P could tell by the model & serial number that it was a Costoco Specific Nationwide Brand battery, and as they saw it, they would happily sell him a replacement and let him handle his warranty issue with Costco about THEIR battery.

And this is a long way of saying why 3 weeks ago I bought my most recent battery at Walmart - because wherever you go, and can break down, you can usually find a Walmart close by (plus I've had good luck with their Everstart Brand batteries). Just keep the receipt in you glove compartment.

HTH-

For your use I would go with the KYB gas-a-just.

Front
KG54309

Rear
KG5490

We're out of stock on these right now.

We do have the Bilstein in stock. If your interested PM your email and I can send you a quote on Tuesday.

It's interesting that whenever these threads on shocks of choice come up, everyone automatically migrates to KYB or Monroes...if, they aren't talking Bilsteins or Ranchos. Anyone ever hear of Gabriel? When it was time to replace mine (driven solely on well maintained paved roads mostly in suburbia), I researched those brands and then decided to think outside the box. I was familiar with Gabriels from use on some of my cars many years ago...but, they don't seem to actively market them, so they aren't on anyone's radar. From the reviews I read, the Max Controls were touted to be a nice compromise between too harsh and too soft. Have had them on my Explorer for 7 yrs/35K miles and they have not disappointed.

never used the gabes before, but i have usd the monroes and kybs before... but thats cool youve used em! maybe ill try em out someday on a road going X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve heard good things about all of them.

I just daily drive, and I run whatever the OE replacement Monroes on RockAuto are. Acceptable ride, and they last. I had them in my ‘98 for 100k. No issues, but figured they were weak and in need of replacement due to mileage…that I had gotten used to them as they ‘wore out’.

Installed a new set and the ride felt exactly the same lol. Still on those.

Back