• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer Vibrates @ 60-70 MPH

BummerDude

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
Have a '99 Explorer that vibrates @ around 65MPH. To me, seems as coming from right rear, but mechanic friend who rode along thinks from right front. Tires are balanced and rotated (twice). Everything seems reasonably tight underneath.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the U-joints and CV axles if it's a 4x4.

Have a '99 Explorer that vibrates @ around 65MPH. To me, seems as coming from right rear, but mechanic friend who rode along thinks from right front. Tires are balanced and rotated (twice). Everything seems reasonably tight underneath.

Any suggestions where to start looking?
Okay, I would won't to be sure it was not any of the tires. I know they have been balanced and rotated twice (makes me wonder why the second time was needed if it was done correctly the first time). If I had a same size balanced spare, I would swap each tire to see if it made a difference. I have more than one of these vehicles with exact same wheels and tires and I have swapped the whole set and seen the vibration go from one vehicle to the other (after I was told they were all balanced).

Okay, I would won't to be sure it was not any of the tires. I know they have been balanced and rotated twice (makes me wonder why the second time was needed if it was done correctly the first time). If I had a same size balanced spare, I would swap each tire to see if it made a difference. I have more than one of these vehicles with exact same wheels and tires and I have swapped the whole set and seen the vibration go from one vehicle to the other (after I was told they were all balanced).
It had developed slowly, figured it was just tires, so had Discount balance and rotate. No change, so had mechanic look at it during oil change. He thought a bad balancing job, so redid it himself. And still no help, so I'm here. 🤔😋

It had developed slowly, figured it was just tires, so had Discount balance and rotate. No change, so had mechanic look at it during oil change. He thought a bad balancing job, so redid it himself. And still no help, so I'm here. 🤔😋
Stopped at Discount for a nail in another tire, and guess what they say? "You know this other tire is separating?" :rolleyes:
On the bright side they pointed out that the 9 yr old spare was starting to dry rot, so got 2 new tires and a trustworthy spare. :)

Is that AWD, or A4WD, or is it 2WD? Any 2WD you can install any combination of tires that aren't identical. With AWD or 4WD of any type, the tires must be identical, the diameter. If they are at all different, it will kill the AWD device, or eat parts of a 4WD(tires/u-jojnts/CV's/diffs).

So what is the drive system?

Tire get those separation bumps from parking to close
to dog parks.......

he he he

Is that AWD, or A4WD, or is it 2WD? Any 2WD you can install any combination of tires that aren't identical. With AWD or 4WD of any type, the tires must be identical, the diameter. If they are at all different, it will kill the AWD device, or eat parts of a 4WD(tires/u-jojnts/CV's/diffs).

So what is the drive system?
4WD. P235/75R15 All the same, you made me get up and look. ;)

You said all same size but, are they the same make?
What Don is stressing is the diameters of tires will vary (REVs per mile
per tire difference).

You said all same size but, are they the same make?
What Don is stressing is the diameters of tires will vary (REVs per mile
per tire difference).

That's the deal, without AWD you can mix tires that are partially used, in many ways.

The automatic 4WD is not as picky because it only engages the front drive shaft when you hit the gas hard with some tire spin. That would be a typical binding of a 4WD on dry pavement, bad for tires and the joints etc, but momentarily.

The 302 AWD's have to have identical tires, not the size, but the diameter. If the front pair is different in total circumference from the rear pair, the AWD will constantly try to force them to run the same speed. That makes extra heat in the AWD, and if the tires are a lot different, it will kill the AWD(viscous clutch). A difference of about 1/4" will be very bad, something in the 1/8" or less range won't be terrible. So don't install a new tire or two along with old tires that are almost worn out.

With the A4WD V6 type transfer cases, you can get away with more of that, be easy on the gas in taking off etc, and put the new tires where they wear the fastest.

Wait so did you take care of the problem?

I've had tires cause vibration that had to be road force balanced to smooth out.

If a wheel is slightly bent, it can cause vibration. Had that happen too.

Depending on your definition of "vibration" bad differential bearings or wheel bearings can also be the culprit.

Wait so did you take care of the problem?
Yeap, it did turn out to be a separated tire. Not sure if image shows it well enough.
Separated Tire (2).jpg

Oh yeah, that's a bad tire. What brand and model is that?

I bought a set of those tires at Wal-Mart a few years back
Worked out for me

Oh yeah, that's a bad tire. What brand and model is that?
Toyo, no model on the tire. Manf date 2002 week 18.
They're 18 year old tires, so they're legally old enough to do want they want. ;)

You folks are making me learn more about tires then I ever expected to. :eek:🤣

That's cool, you got your money's worth from those.

I used up my old snow tires last Spring, they were about ten years old. I had only put them on each year when we had snow on the roads, I knew it was time to use them up. They were still great tires that stuck well in the rain or snow. They didn't last long on pavement, they were Blizzak's with very soft rubber.

18 year old tires, OMG! I"m so an@l, I replace them when they get 6 years old. Thing is, that tire looks like it still has some tread life in it.

It was new to me 2+ years ago, those were the tires that were on it. Was told original owner only used it as a TOAD behind his RV. The shape it was in I'd believe it was also garaged. Only registered in TX & AZ, so not much nasty weather.

I have another old set I had bought for my 91, and they may have 5000 miles on them. They show a little dry rotting/cracks, but they hold air and have been good for storage uses. I got them off my Mercury that they were saving my 18" tires from, and soon will go on my older 73 Ranchero to let me roll it around and keep it off the ground. Old tires are dangerous to drive on, ever, but can be useful. Show cars may have a lot of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back