99 Mounty camshaft position sensor removal ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mounty camshaft position sensor removal ??

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have a 1999 Mountaineer 5.0L in need of a camshaft position sensor change.
I found a 99 Mounty w/5.0L engine sitting in a local junk yard. I removed the coil packs and any other items in the way to get a clear shot at the
(1) 13mm bolt which held the sensor in place and down.
After an hour trying everything under the sun to pry it up and out, it would not budge.

If you are familiar with the camshaft position sensors removal could you fill me in on how I can get it out? Is there another lock down bolt I missed or can not see? Pull it up with a slap hammer? :rolleyes:
Any information will be very much appreciated.
Thank you, :salute:
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are 2 bolts up by the electrical connector that you need to remove then just pull it out.

Thank you muhl5443,
I appreciate your help. I had a feeling there was another bolt hiding around there somewhere.
Rick

Rick -

I assume that your cam position sensor has the famous chirp noise problem from a dry bearing. I purchased a new CPS last fall as my '97 Mounty 5.0 started chirping when cold. Ran into the same problem - could not get the old one to move at all. Tried large pliers, prying with screwdriver, etc... no go on removal.

I ended up taking the top plastic cover off (two small hex bolts and it lifts off), then put a few drops of 10W-30 down inside hoping it would run down the shaft and lube the bearing. Put everything back together and it hasn't made a sound in a year. Still driving around with the new sensor in my toolbox.

73, Dave

your welcome. when i get home i can out a pic up. if u need.

Back