99 XP Runs rough after plug wire change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 XP Runs rough after plug wire change

jbean8510

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT V8
Car ran great before....but it has over 200,000 miles so I have been doing routine maintenance to keep it up. Put on the new wires and had cyl. 7 and 8 crossed. Whats weird is I didnt know until I got on the interstate on my way home. So i drove for about 15 minutes like this. The next day I saw cyl. 7 & 8 were crossed, so I uncrossed them, started it up, and it runs just like it had before, NO ISSUES. The same day I drive it to work, home from work. Next day drive to the gym and out to run errands. Then all of a sudden, I feel the gas pedal start to vibrate and I can feel the engine not running right. When I got home I checked all plug wires for tightness, which they were good. The only thing I saw is that one of the wires was touching the exhuast manifold. It was a little white on the outside, but still entact so I just moved it and tied it away from the manifold.

So now I have no idea what to check....im sure it has something to do with spark plugs seeing as I just changed them....but why would it be okay for 2 days and then start having problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What plugs and wires did you use?

...The only thing I saw is that one of the wires was touching the exhuast manifold. It was a little white on the outside, but still entact so I just moved it and tied it away from the manifold....im sure it has something to do with spark plugs seeing as I just changed them....but why would it be okay for 2 days and then start having problems?

That white spot is insulation damage. The wire needs to be replaced. If you still have the old wires, switch that one out & you'll probably be back to driving normal.

I had two wires crossed also and the truck still ran, though rough. Each plug fires twice per round so you can really mix them up and still get something out just from chance. Something not that good usually. Also, the comp learns better how to run with the plugs crossed, and then learns again how to run right. Clearing the comp might speed that up?

I did not replace the spark plugs. I was going to but I had these wires for 2 weeks and just decided to replace them for now. I used bosh wires this time which seemed to be better, however they did not have the metal insulators on the wires by the exhaust manifold. I don't think the computer needs to be reset only because like I said when I uncrossed the wires it ran fine for 2 days till it decided to start acting up.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to try replacing the wire that was touching the manifold and see if that helps anything.

Any other suggestions?

You may have grounded the Coil Secondary Voltage Output for too long and damaged the Coil.

Back