Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvosh

Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
So I decided it was time to get the A/C going in the Explorer. The bearings were completely gone in the compressor so it was bypassed. It is a good thing I checked things out before I went all crazy.

Decided to check the orifice tube to see if it was clean, but it wasn't. Basically the whole thing on the long side was covered in black and tiny metal flakes. Really sucks! So I decided to pull the whole A/C system since it would be hard to remove everything from it. :(:thumbdwn:

The only thing left that I need to remove is the evap core and get a non-a/c blower box. Was checking out prices and to replace everything would be around $120 from pick-n-pull. The only problem with that is, how many have the black death and is it really worth it since you can't get good ole R12 anymore. And I am going to get some screen to put in front of the rad to protect it a bit since I took out the condenser.

What is the best and easiest way to remove the air box? Do I have to take apart the dash to remove any bolts or nuts?

Here's the removal and installation procedure from my 94 - yours should be the same or only some slight differences.

Disconnect the cable from the battery negative (ground) terminal.
Discharge the refrigerant from the A/C system following the recommended service procedure in Air Conditioning General Service. Observe all safety precautions.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the pressure switch located on top of the accumulator/drier.
Remove the pressure switch from the accumulator/drier.
Disconnect the suction hose from the accumulator/drier, using the Spring Lock Coupling Tool and cap openings to prevent dirt and/or moisture from entering, please refer to Heating and Air Conditioning/Coupler HVAC/Service and Repair.
Disconnect the liquid line from the evaporator core inlet tube using a backup wrench to loosen the fitting. Cap the openings to prevent dirt and/or moisture from entering.
Remove the screws holding the evaporator case service cover and vacuum reservoir to the evaporator case assembly.
Store the vacuum reservoir in a secure position to avoid vacuum line damage.
Remove two dash panel mounting nuts.
Remove the evaporator case service cover from the evaporator case assembly.
Remove the evaporator core and suction accumulator/drier assembly from the vehicle. Installation
Position the evaporator core and accumulator/drier assembly into the install evaporator case out-board half.
Position the evaporator case service cover into place on the evaporator case assembly.
Install the two dash panel mounting nuts.
Install the screws holding the evaporator service case half to the evaporator case assembly.
Place the vacuum reservoir in its installed position. Attach the reservoir to the case with two screws.
Connect the liquid line to the evaporator inlet tube using a backup wrench to tighten the fitting to specification. (Install a new lubricated 0-ring.)
Connect the suction hose to the suction accumulator / drier after checking for a missing or damaged spring lock coupling garter spring and/or repairing or replacing the spring. Install two new specified (special material) 0-rings, lubricated with clean refrigerant oil,onto the spring lock coupling male fitting. NOTE: Refer to Spring Lock Coupling in Heating and Air Conditioning/
Install (screw) the pressure switch to the accumulator/drier and tighten finger-tight. CAUTION: DO NOT use a wrench to tighten the pressure switch.
Connect the electrical connector to the pressure switch.
Charge the A/C system following the recommended service procedures. Observe all safety precautions . Please refer to Heating ad Air Conditioning/Service and Repair/ See: Service and Repair
Connect the cable to the battery negative (ground) terminal.
Check the A/C system for refrigerant leaks and proper operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back