• Register Today It's free!

A/C blows hot.

mustangdave

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.6L V8
HELP!! I have a 98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC with the EATC. No matter what temperature setting it is on, it blows hot air like it is set on max heat. The vent controls and the fan control functions normally. I have been reading the posts, and suspect the blend door, but it blows hot on max air as well. The compressor and clutch seem to be functioning normally and the condensor frosts up like normal. I have checked the charge of the system and it is ok. Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start tearing the dash appart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fixed it

Well, I finally had a chance to tear into it today and it is fixed. To whoever it is that came up with the free fix for the blend door,THANK YOU!!!!! Here is the steps if anyone elese is having this problem.

Step 1. Release and lower the glove box door and locate the actuator module on top of the air box. Unplug the electrical connector and take a large flat head screwdriver and pry it off of the airbox.

Step 2. Take a mirror and a flashlight and examine the hole in which the actuator arm fits. You should see the top of the blend door in the hole in which the actuator arm fits. it will either be split in half or it will be missing half of it. Visually compare where the blend door is broken off in relation to actuator arm and mark the angle through the actuator arm. Take a small drill bit and drill through the arm at that angle. Insert a small nail through the hole and trim it to approx. a 1/8th of an inch protruding from the arm on each side.

Step 3. Insert the actuator assy. back into the airbox and plug in the electrical connector. Remove the #36 fuse from the fuse block and trun the ignition on to reset the EATC and the actuator control. It disables the actuator control if it does not turn the blend door. Turn the ignition off and put the fuse back in. Start the car and test the system. If it works, remove the actuator assy and put a small drop of glue on the nail to secure it to the actuator arm. After the glue dries reinstall the actuator assy to the air box and replace the glove box door. FINISHED

This took me a total of about 20 to 30 minutes to perform and it works Great. The link to the fix can be found here. www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com
This website gives the full detail and pics. Good Luck! :salute:

98 Mazda 4x4 B4000 Heating/Cooling Controls

Guys,

Read a lot about similar problems in Explorers. Still trying to make sense. Is the blend door actuator and solenoid actuator the same thing? Can cool truck internally, can heat internally, but cannot control heating or cooling. Cannot get fresh air from the vents. Always recirculating. I am confused.

Appreciate simple solutions if any.

Brahma

Brilliant

Dont know what to say my air blower was always hot no matter what setting it was on ,i found this thread and followed the steps on how to fix the door thing.Apart from the fact that my x is RHD and the glove box was on the left side it all worked and now i have cool temp back.
Just wanted to say thanks and what a BRILLIANT forum.:thumbsup:
Thanks

Back