a few questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a few questions

broncbob

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city ut
howdy, new guy here!

i have a few questions about explorers, and i figured this would be the place to get a few answers.

a bit of back ground, i own a 91 full size bronco at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting a explorer to replace it. here's why, it only has 2 doors. this rig is used as a DD and a hunting, wheeling rig.

i'm looking into the explorer to a) gain a second set of doors, b) maybe get better fuel mileage out of the deal.

what i need to know.

a) what common troubles does this platform have? what should i look for when i go to look at buying one?

b)i know that to get the peformance i want off road i'm gonna need a lift. my bronco is stock hight, running on 31's and i want/ need a bit more than that. i manage to drag hard parts when i have to much fun.

so how much lift and tires would i need to look at runnig?

i know with larger tires, i'll need gears, and i'd like to run atleast a locker in the rear. is there a good slection out there for this kinda stuff?

thanks for the help, once i get a bit of info, i think i can search out the rest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here and yes to all...plus the X can fit into more tight spots...i am sure you will get alot of responses to your questions...:D

i have never worried about putting the full size in tight spots, and the body reflects it! lol

Common problems are the auto transmission. IMO it's worth it to wait around and find a 4-door, 4x4, manual (they are much more rare then the 2-door variety that you stated you weren't interested in). The only other major problem is that the heads crack really easily if they over heat. And a truck this old has probably over heated at some point in its life.

There is a wide selection of after market parts.

There are tons of threads on here about different lifts, lockers, gears, etcetera. You have just found the biggest bank of explorer knowledge in the world. Enjoy some reading, and use the search button.

MPG seems to vary with the 1st gen explorers. I get about 14.5 avg. with my 35s and 4.56 gears. Some get up to 18 highway with different set-ups.

a) what common troubles does this platform have? what should i look for when i go to look at buying one?
little x has you covered here.

b)so how much lift and tires would i need to look at runnig?
Cheapest way - With the f150 coil seats, warrior (# WAR153) shackles and a 3" body lift, you'll be able to run 33s with no rubbing on 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing.

You could also just get a 4" trailmaster or superlift complete lift and fit 33s.

Here is my old 92 with the trailmaster 4" on 33s with 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing.

1600explorerlift33.jpg

f150 coil seat - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187201

i know with larger tires, i'll need gears, and i'd like to run atleast a locker in the rear. is there a good slection out there for this kinda stuff?
Search ebay or Randy's Ring & Pinion for Yukon gears. They have decent prices on these parts. I would go with 4.56 with 33s.

The locker you're going to have to decide what kind you want.
1. full carrier replacement lock
2. lunchbox style
3. limited slip

This depends on the type of driving and terrain you'll encounter.

Back