A little stuck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A little stuck.

So we are out in Yucca Valley here in S. Cali, taking the trails up to Eureka Peak. Everything goes great until we decide that the peak was too boring and that we should check out the Morongo Ridgeline. So after about 7~8 miles of easy trails we come to a fork; with one side ending about 1000 yards out and the other looking more like a dried up wash going down the side of a hill. So theres a Wrangler and Suzuki Samurai coming up the wash, and we asked them how the trails were down there. They said that this was the worst part, and that if we could make it up that, we could handle the rest. At the end of the other part of the fork was an easy way down, so we went down and tried our best to make it up the wash. It was mostly hard packed sand, small rocks and 2 big ~2ft deep ruts running down the middle. We didnt make it. About 2/3 of the way the back left end slid off the side and into the rut, while the other three corners compressed almost all the way up. After the smoke started coming up out of the shifter boot we decided to ask for some help. So we ended up getting dragged out and going home with our tails between our legs. Sorry for the crappy pics, all I had was my phone, and low battery :)

0410051636.jpg

0410051635.jpg

Thanks to the 2 guys from http://www.dst4x4club.org for their help! Oh, and my clutch seems to be ok for now, but man that smell doesnt go away easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats not stuck! just kidding cant tell unless you are there.

next time disco yuor sway bars and air down, climb right through those ruts..

That does not look too bad , but like 410 said you don't know unless your there.

well thats why i said "a little stuck" :0

and it couldnt have been that bad considering i was winched out by a suzuki samurai lol.

also though, my X is bone stock except es3000 shocks and 31x10.5 Pirrelli A/Ts.

Sounds like it's time for some lift and bigger meats.

front locker would get you further then those other mods :)

Doesn't the samurai weigh like half of what the explorer does? lol , well then again it is a sport so Im not sure.

The samurai was anchored to the wrangler.......

And what kinda lockers should I get, any suggestions?

Throw a detroit no-slip in the rear and you'll make it through a helluva lot more than that before gettin stuck :D I have a sport with a manual trans just like yours and that locker kicks ass

couldn't back up some and try again? When your open diffs front and rear, you want to try and keep even weight under all tires. Hard to do, but makes a difference. I'd think airing down the tires would have helped out a lot. Also definitely would put a locker in the rear, makes a huge difference.

whats it cost to put a locker in the rear end? and where could i look for one?

Mcane6 said:
whats it cost to put a locker in the rear end? and where could i look for one?

Serch is your friend ;)

Jeff - :navajo:

A little stuck is like being a little pregnant. Either you are or you aint...

thats stuck??? ur axles arent burried in three feet of mudd or sand? hehe

BBQ_HotDogs said:
A little stuck is like being a little pregnant. Either you are or you aint...

:D

The place you describe in your paragraph sounds cool. I've never wheeled there but it sure sounds nice.

what was written in the dust on your back window?

Back