A/M Auto Shifter Switch Question

CarFreak146

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
Neutral Safety & Reverse Switch Question

I've got a B&M MegaShifter that I'm puttin in the Explorer to shift my newly installed C4, and there's a neutral safety switch and a reverse light switch on the shifter. now, my question is..... what do I needa do to get these switches to work....

I'm assuming I just needa run a 12V source to the Neutral Safety Switch?

And I've gotta find the reverse light wire and run to the Reverse Light Switch??

Please help me figure this out, b/c the Instructions with the shifter isn't detailed about this step.

--Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

Anybody?? Didn't Jefe put one in his truck??

--Ryan

come on, somebody's GOTTA have some info.... its not a hard question........ is it? haha :D

--Ryan

Alright, you got my attention, but I'm not going to be able to help you much as I'm sure wiring has changed between 94 and 2000. :p
Assuming its anything like a 2nd gen, If you already had an auto, then both neutral safety switch and reverse light switch are in the transmission harness and go to the shift indicator switch. I was able to just feed the trans harness up through the floorboard, and with the help of an electrical diagram, wire it directly to the switches on the shifter.

thanks man, I"m REALLY glad that I did get your attentino.... so when you did that, did you just cut off the factory connector and then splice the wires to connect them to the switches then?

I cut the wires I needed out of the harness right at the factory connector, crimped connectors on them and ran them directly to the switches on the shifter.

Note that if you have the electric 4x4 there are two neutral circuits (one for start, and one for 4x4 control) and you'll have to put in a set of relays between the neutral switch on the shifter, and those two sets of wires. AA had a diagram on how to do this on a first gen in the 700R4 instructions, but I dont know where I might have put those.

do I need to so the realys even if I've swapped to a manual t-case? b.c I"m now running a Twin Stick D20

--Ryan

alrighht. thanx for your help jefe

Did you get it? :)

the neautral safety circuit also goes to the clutch pedal 3 position switch.
But like Jefe said your best bet is to get them from the old trans harness.

Are you going to convert to a 5 speed computer? Because if you are you might also want to convert to a 5 speed transmission harness, it has the necessary wiring changes built into it to complete the now missing circuits with the C4.....

410Fortune said:
Did you get it? :)

Are you going to convert to a 5 speed computer? Because if you are you might also want to convert to a 5 speed transmission harness, it has the necessary wiring changes built into it to complete the now missing circuits with the C4.....

Not yet, I won't get the truck until Thursday (still at fabricators finishin up tranny xmember and d-shafts. and quick question.... I would I need a wiring harness for a 5sp tranny, when I'm puttin in a 3sp Auto?

Was the truck a 5 speed before or A4LD?
With your new C4 you are running the neautral safety and reverse sensors to your shifter correct?

You have a few other wires that used to go to the A4LD, uncluding the 3-4 shift and lock up converter. The neautral safety for the ignition and for the electric shift 4x4 both also loop through the A4LD.

When Ford built your truck they ran all teh necessary wires for both 5 speed and auto transmissions to where the transmission wiring plugs into the truck harness.
If your truck got a 5 speed fromt he factory the 5 speed wiring harness that they used loops the necessary wires back to the truck (neautral safety for igntition and electric shift, then over tot he clutch 3 position switch.

So if you put in a C4 you will want to use a 5 speed transmission wiring harness, this will give you the place to tap in for the NEAU and REV sensors, also take care of the wiring issues for the truck harness (just like if it was 5 speed factory) then you can run the 5 speed PCM and your truck will not give you a MIL.

Does that make sense or did I confuse you more?
hahaha

Basically the 5 speed only has neau safety and reverse lights built in, you are putting those on your shifter so you want to eliminate the rest of the A4LD wiring that you no longer need.

Without these circuits the computer will give you a MIL.

410Fortune said:
Thats true, he could have gotten it from there. I wasn't so lucky though since from 97-01 they decided there was no need for a clutch switch harness :rolleyes:

He can't just run the manual computer without the manual harness to get rid of the MIL?

410Fortune said:
Was the truck a 5 speed before or A4LD?
With your new C4 you are running the neautral safety and reverse sensors to your shifter correct?

You have a few other wires that used to go to the A4LD, uncluding the 3-4 shift and lock up converter. The neautral safety for the ignition and for the electric shift 4x4 both also loop through the A4LD.

When Ford built your truck they ran all teh necessary wires for both 5 speed and auto transmissions to where the transmission wiring plugs into the truck harness.
If your truck got a 5 speed fromt he factory the 5 speed wiring harness that they used loops the necessary wires back to the truck (neautral safety for igntition and electric shift, then over tot he clutch 3 position switch.

So if you put in a C4 you will want to use a 5 speed transmission wiring harness, this will give you the place to tap in for the NEAU and REV sensors, also take care of the wiring issues for the truck harness (just like if it was 5 speed factory) then you can run the 5 speed PCM and your truck will not give you a MIL.

Does that make sense or did I confuse you more?
hahaha

Basically the 5 speed only has neau safety and reverse lights built in, you are putting those on your shifter so you want to eliminate the rest of the A4LD wiring that you no longer need.

Without these circuits the computer will give you a MIL.

Wow! :confused: lets see..... I started out with an A4LD auto.... so I"ve gotta FIND this 5speed harness and use it? I can't just reroute my A4LD harness back up into the truck and use those wires?? and you're also sayin that I will probably get a CEL after I'm got the truck running? ouch.... I could probably live with that though, as this is NOT my DD, just my fun toy :D I just wanna make sure I'm doin it right.....

so now, I may have to find a computer from a 5speed? dang, this is gettin expensive quick.

--Ryan

EMERGENCY!!!!:: What color wire is the Neutral Safety Switch on the First Gen Explorer with Auto Tranny? PLEASE HELP!!!

--Ryan

ttt, please help!

Back