A New Ford Explorer XLT Owners 1st Mods (Please Help) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A New Ford Explorer XLT Owners 1st Mods (Please Help)

nicholasjj

Reaction score
City, State
Festus Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer 4.0
OK, I've already ordered the parts so I guess I'm a little stuck with what I've ordered at this point. Nonetheless, I thought I'd ask the advice of you wise folk. My dad was in the automotive biz for his whole life, very respected at what he did, but the type to build a new larger motor- spending months at times working full time just to beef one up- rather than mod out something. I wished I had pic of the old 70 something, larger Rangers, he used to have with bored out suped out motor, duals he put on, flat bed, bad ass looking bumpers he'd made himself with air tanks in them and rails you could hardly put a dent in if you hit a mac truck, jacked up and able to take out 10" trees without blinking. Now that was a nicely mod'd out Ford.

I've been a Ford man my whole life... needless to say. I recently sold my 2004 Mustang GT when I had my first child (having had two poor lil 5 and six year old step kiddos crammed in the back already). My grandparents had retired their old Explorer XLT, which they took GREAT care of, and passed it on to me. At over 200,000 miles, it doesn't burn a drop of oil with only the rare drop here and there from a seal or two; and, by looking at the motor, it has less than 100,00 on it. With proper care, I think it'll last much longer.

But not bore you with details. It's easy when talking to others that love vehicles, especially Fords, to ramble on. :cool:

So.....

1. JET PERFORMANCE MODULE $250 (which if it has the option I think it does I'll keep it turned most the way down till I'm done with my mods and can have my XLT dyno'd).
2. AFE Throttle Body Spacer Throttle Body Spacer Explorer|XLT $80ish
3. Flowmaster Exhaust System
$205

It seemed a decent place to start.

My next two steps are to get a new cam, which if anyone can make a rec, I'd appreciate the hell out of it. That and buy an air intake which I'll simply insert on the end of the MAFS if possible. I don't see why there would be less of a gain, and it cost less, unless you're shooting for it looking a little nicer.... That is, when I figure out what size to get since I'm not ordering something pre-made.

The question I had is, what kind of gain can I get out of this? If one believed what the sales reps told them, I'd be getting around 50 added horse. I was HOPING for around half half that. Originally I was going to install, myself, the exhaust and run duels off a Y pipe, which I could have done myself for less than this, a little less. I didn't feel though without other mods there'd be much of a gain ie manifolds or whatever was needed in that regard? But if I were to decide to after all my other mods are done, can I mod my existing exhaust to be a duel? Insert a Y pipe somewhere and get a custom built pipe to extend it past where the spare would be? What I wondered though is if a good exhaust was as good as having duels, or at least if the gain wasn't large enough to bother

Sorry with all the questions. I've been reading here for a while before singing up.

Before long I'll be jumping in myself and helping where I can. Realistically after this I have to lay off for a while on working on it, but I'd at least like to accomplish this much for now. I'm not going to pour 4000 into a sixer, though. I'd just like to bump her up to 225 with a little more take off a decent sound, but not an overdone rumble unless other mods make it sound better....

At Stock I think it's coming in at around 175, with the 1993 having an added 15 horse (K so I know what horse they say you get aint your real HP, but you know what I mean). I'd assume though having the 93 over 2 or 4. If anyone can let me know why this is the case, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks guys, and gals of course! Right now I'm dealing with the loss of my Mustang, but it just had to go, all things considered.....

A new project is nice!!!! Plus, my grandfather is in his last years, and it was his, so I'm gonna keep this for as long as I can, perhaps add a 2" life at some point and front guard rails and side steps. Well, and whatever else comes to mind by then, but no matter what, I'm keeping the six and continuing to work on it, with all the sentiment it has for me. But HEY, all Ford seems to grow on me. My first Ford LTD still has a special place in my heart. A purr of a Ford Lincoln's mother was the only thing that could put me to sleep as a child as it were :notworthy:

Well, back to reading up! Hoping my mod ideas will work out! I guess you all have gotten to know me a little by now.

Thanks again!

Cheers.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The chips/module's are a waste of $. Don't bother. Just return it.
Get a BBK 66mm TB. I found them on EBay new for $169, 30 minute bolt on install if your good with hand tools.
Replace the exhaust system. Or just add a muffler of your choice to the stock piping. It like's back pressure. Go too big & your going to loose a lot of low end.
Headers are made mostly for 2WD's. I heard mixed reviews on them over the years. The PITA to replace the stock manifolds(broken studs to drill out) isn't worth it.
You can add a bigger Mass air sensor if you can find one. But gains are not noticeable. I had one & saw nothing.
You can buy a MAS adapter plate & add a cone filter(short ram intake) Again not sure if it really increased anything cause it sucks in hot air.
I had the TB, MAS, intake, & exhaust on my old X 94. Driveablity was good. It did have a combined noticeable increase but not 25hp.

Unfortunately old 1st gen explorer are not mod machines.

Yea the first two items are a complete waste of money neither will gain you anything.you may be putting down 125hp thats it!! 200 is a hard number to hit with these trucks!

...200hp at the CRANK is easy with simple bolt ons....

200 at the wheels, is a bit harder...

That would require the above mentioned Throttle Body, maybe an iFab intake Tube and open air element, larger MAF from a newer Explorer, Newer heads (95TM) with smaller Combustion Chamber to bump up compression a full point or more. A little Port work on them, Oversized valves. New Cam (CompCams # 422). Underdrive Pulley.

All that is about $2,000, and you will STILL have a weak transmission...Been there, done that.....then I got smart, and swapped in a V8 instead.

Ryan

If the OHV on mine does go a V8 swap is going in if I have the funds. The cost to convert has come down a lot. And so many have done it, all the info on what you need & how to do it are readily available.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Understood it's nothing one can mod out much. I'm not gonna push it too anyway. A new mod here and there perhaps for sake of seeing how much I can get out of it. However I am a bit of a fan of that make. At least it's the first gen sixer with the little added horsepower. 15 at the crank I think?

I'll have around 600 in it with what's I've ordered and the intake I'm installing tomorrow. I simply picked up a MAF adapter and cone at Autozone. K and Ns are nice, I had one on my V8 Mustang, but my past experience has shown me the results are pretty much the same doing it this way.

Regards the engine, I'm debating on a new cam and leaving it alone from there. I'm open though to doing something different. The chip itself I probably won't return. I have known of people that have gotten gains in some form, and others that haven't. Since I'm pretty new to the concept of using one, I'm looking into if there's any programming that can be done to them. From what I recall, the person or two with vehicles that did see gains not only had other mods done but something done with the chip or computer as well.

Once I'm finished with my explorer, I'm picking up an older model 5.0 Mustang for my real pet project! All I want out of the explorer is to see what can be done with it without spending thousands overnight. Luckily labor is next to nothing. What I can't do, I can cheaply have done by something as reliable as they come. I'll put up to 2 in it since some of it, such as the exhaust which is shot, needs done.

Can anyone point me toward a good thread to explain exactly what I'd need to install a new cam, what I can expect to gain and so forth? I can't seem to find one that fits my needs and questions and I'd much rather spend more time reading than asking question after question to you fine folk. Right now I'm just curious till I wrap up the other work I need to do.

I can tell you from experience that a tb spacer will gain you nothing and that chip is a waste,it has been proven time and time again.for the cost of those you could have done an efan or underdrive pullies witch are proven power adders or power releaser.to do a cam you need to pull upper and lower intak,exhaust, heads,everything off the front of the motor and the radiator. Not an easy job,biggest power gain though! !

Thanks for the heads up. It's not a matter of being hard headed but I'll probably keep it to just try. I was only hoping for a small performance gain anyway. I do though feel sorry for those that can't afford the chips but splurge on them thinking they're gonna get the gains mentioned in the ads. Hopefully even a small performance gain is even possible. I'll probably just save for the cam now. Bolt on work is easy to fall into, even if it's un needed.

It's not a matter of being hard headed
Maybe a little. Your used to cars that can be modded & actually gain stuff. As I said a 1gen Explorer is not a mod machine. You'll invest time & money into it to have very minimal gains. It's just not worth it. Many on this board have gone this route. You'll do it all, spend all that $ & then your trans will be toast or your gears will go out.

If your going to do it & want to see real gains, pull the engine & rebuild it .30 over add the cam, port the heads & intake, install headers.

But again by the time you spend all that $ you could swap in a 5.0.

I've heard that about the transmission. You're right too, I've always had something I could easily mod and see gains. This is my first six in a long time, since my first car. Perhaps I'll just go with what I've got and got ordered. That shouldn't do any harm to the tranny? wouldn't mind picking up a Ranger and investing my time into that rather than a Mustang again. Thanks again Jason for the advice.

If your doing the cam. i would recommend a port and polish job. I have only polished my intake and noticed a smoother, more responsive, cooler running motor. That is until I upped my tire sized without new gears. :)

The heads and automatics are the weak link in these trucks. upgrade them and you will be happy for a long time. I have over 200k on my truck and I work her very hard. But I have a 5 speed.

Mine has over 250,000 on the tranny and still seems to be running smooth, though I've heard time and again they tend to have trouble. I had mine leak about three quarts at once when I first got it, then added them back with a quart of Lycos to just get it home. But after that it's not leaked a drop. For now I'm just keeping an eye out. When I get the time I'll add new seals and filter. Perhaps just go ahead and do a rebuilt kit? That might be going a little overboard. Sometimes it's better to just wait for something to finish going out and replace it altogether.

The chips/module's are a waste of $. Don't bother. Just return it.
Get a BBK 66mm TB. I found them on EBay new for $169, 30 minute bolt on install if your good with hand tools.
Replace the exhaust system. Or just add a muffler of your choice to the stock piping. It like's back pressure. Go too big & your going to loose a lot of low end.
Headers are made mostly for 2WD's. I heard mixed reviews on them over the years. The PITA to replace the stock manifolds(broken studs to drill out) isn't worth it.
You can add a bigger Mass air sensor if you can find one. But gains are not noticeable. I had one & saw nothing.
You can buy a MAS adapter plate & add a cone filter(short ram intake) Again not sure if it really increased anything cause it sucks in hot air.
I had the TB, MAS, intake, & exhaust on my old X 94. Driveablity was good. It did have a combined noticeable increase but not 25hp.

Unfortunately old 1st gen explorer are not mod machines.

Where did you see the bbk for $169??

Ebay seller brothersperformance1

Looks like he's sold out now though. He had a few last week. Maybe contact him.

Ebay seller brothersperformance1

Looks like he's sold out now though. He had a few last week. Maybe contact him.
How much was shipping?$169 is very cheap!!i dont need one,i have one. just for others

It was brand new & shipping was free.

I've got quite a bit of money in my engine. It's bored 20 over, Comp 410 Camshaft, K&N Filter, dual valve springs, fine spray fuel injectors, headers, exhaust, used to have a BBK TB and 73mm MAF. Looking back, I should have gone to a 302. I probably could have done the swap for about $1000 LESS then what I have in my engine. But, then you still have to get your trans/t-case/drive shafts figured out and paid for if you aren't going with the entire V-8 Drive train.

If I were you I'd return everything you bought. Then you'll have enough $ to buy some 4.10 gears. Swapping these in instead of the 3.55's or 3.23's or what ever is in the truck will give you more acceleration and "performance" then anything you can do to the engine, short of forced induction. Do you know what gear ratio you have?

With that many miles, that tranny WILL quit on you sooner than later. It's a giant turd, and pushing any more power than stock through it makes no sense. You'll be further ahead in the cash to swap in a V8. You're gonna spend a whole bunch of money on nothing, then realize you're trying to get power out of a worn out 4.0 V6. You put that thing on the dyno, even after all your mods and I bet it won't crack 130hp...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Forget it guys....he's not listening to ANYONE....

He came on here asking for help, we tried to point him in the right direction, but he insists on wasting money on stuff that has been proven to NOT WORK..

He doesn't want help. He wanted to come on here and brag about all the money he just wasted, hoping we would all be all over his jock for doing it....

He'll find out.

His transmission won't last past Summer.

Ryan

Back