A quick DIY question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A quick DIY question

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I took my 2000 XLT to get the AC recharged and the guy said I have a leak in my compressor. It also seems to be a little noisy when it's on...like a slight howl/whine and a bit of a growl. Not bad, but annoying and the AC only gets cool. Anyway, They want $600 to change out the compressor and accumulator. My question is can I change them out myself and then just take it to the shop to be charged? Will it hurt the new compressor by driving to the shop without oil/refrigerant in it? The only thing I don't have to do the switch is the little quick-connect tool for the lines and I'd like to save a few bucks if I can.

If the system isn't completely empty, you need to have it evacuated before you can take it apart and start working on it yourself. You can be seriously injured if you disconnect fittings on an A/C system that is charged, and the exposure to pressurized refrigerant could result in the eventual loss of fingers, hands, or eyesight depending what part of your body is around the fitting.

Once the system is empty, sure, you can disassemble it, replace the compressor and accumulator, and I'd suggest disconnecting everything else and putting in all new o-rings while it's apart.

Then you can take it back to the shop and have them put in refrigerant.

Driving it without oil might do some damage, so it's best to put the oil into the new compressor when putting it together. Ford dealers sell the A/C system lube in a 7oz. metal Motorcraft bottle for a few bucks, well worth it to have the right stuff. It's a good idea to put the oil in the compressor, then stand it on the pulley end for a few hours, and turn the pulley every so often so it distributes the oil on the rotating points inside the compressor. You don't need to put all the oil in the compressor, some of it can go into the new accumulator since the oil circulates in the system.

Back