A thread of the alternator belt came off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A thread of the alternator belt came off

MrRothstein

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Howdy,

A 2-millimeter wide thread, about 10 inches long, came off of my 2014 PIU's alternator belt. And I'm 400 miles from home, it's the 4th of July and no repair shops are open.

I cut the loose thread off, the rest of the belt seems to be okay.

Do you think I can make it home?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy,

A 2-millimeter wide thread, about 10 inches long, came off of my 2014 PIU's alternator belt. And I'm 400 miles from home, it's the 4th of July and no repair shops are open.

Thank you!
Hard to say without seeing it. You can reduce the stress on the belt by turning the A/C off if it looks sketchy.

Hard to say without seeing it. You can reduce the stress on the belt by turning the A/C off if it looks sketchy.
Oh, that's not a problem, The loose thread cut right through one of the AC pipes that's near the front grille, so there's no AC anyway :p

Thank you for your input, though! :)

Made it home. At first, the loose thread kept on coming loose from the rest of the belt and I cut it off twice, then it stopped; maybe the entire round of it came off finally. The rest of the belt successfully held. Yay!

Made it home. At first, the loose thread kept on coming loose from the rest of the belt and I cut it off twice, then it stopped; maybe the entire round of it came off finally. The rest of the belt successfully held. Yay!
Just curious, how many miles on the odometer? Original belt?

Howdy,

Thank you!
It's worth a try. But late is my note, how did you make out? I pray you got home safe!

Back