• Register Today It's free!

A4LD #2 Selective thrust washer

explorerjoe

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
My question is to all those who have rebuilt an A4lD. The trans is from a 4x4 Ex w/ 4.0. It had 120k miles, no previous rebuilds. During disassembly, I noticed that my ASTG manual mentioned a thrust washer located over the shaft on the back side of the intermediate support. My trans did not have one. It does however have a roller bearing which fits in a recess at the end of the intermediate shaft which will rest directly up against the forward drive clutch of the intermediate gear assemblty. My ASTG manual does not mention the "thrust washer" being deleted in favor of the roller bearing. In fact most of the pictures do no show the roller bearing at all. I had assumed that this fact was overlooked in the manual, but the last page, covering the assembly of the intermediate gear assy shows the roller bearing and a non roller thrust washer and makes no differentiations between 4.0 or anything else. Also the manual is the "Revised Edition". It really only points out differences between the 4.0 and non 4.0 transmissions, no year variances with the exception of a few tolerances.. Any suggestions?

I'm lost

1 and 4 are selective and shouldn't show much wear unless something was totally destroyed. #4 should be just behind the center support. Could you use the reference number rom the manual, pgs 53 & 54.

#4 was deleted in 93

Do you have the epdate book? Or just the revised A4ld book. Page 29-36 in the update book cover the change(s)

The # 4 washer was deleted in the snap shell design center support (93- ) #5 thrust bearing added, and the # 3 washer was changed to a bearing

#5 is the bearing in the recess on the snout, # 3 is on the other side of the support (and is larger)

Good Luck

O.H you are exactly right, I was talking about the #4 Selective thrust washer.

Steve, you tought me a good lesson. I bought the revised version and was told it contained "everything". I specificly asked about the update and he said "This is the revised one, you don't need the udate". I thought that it may have been deleted because at Ford they had two parts breakdowns, one based on the snap-shell design and there was no sighn of abnormal wear at the support or the shell.

I Appreciate your guys help, if your ever in AZ drop me a line, I owe you two a few beers!!

Joe

Back