My Mongrel A4LD - Experts Please Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Mongrel A4LD - Experts Please Help!!!

Evil Jeff

Reaction score
City, State
Webster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I would like to put a call out to the A4LD experts to help me get this "mongrel" transmission back on the road. The vehicle is a 94 Explorer 4x4, of unknown history. I bought it real cheap because it wouldn't run. When I got it running, it wouldn't move. I then posted a thread, "94 Explorer No-Go",explaining that I verified the fluid level, condition, line pressures in all ranges, modulator operation, etc. I pulled the valve body too, but that didn't solve the complete no-go situation. Time to remove and disassemble the A4LD.

When I disassembled the trans, I found a HYBRID of sorts that had been rebuilt. I would like to tell you all what I found, and ask for help in reassembling properly. Disassembly revealed:

4R bellhousing ( no provision for seal staking, has added holes/reinforcements)
97GT hub seal
91GT pump casting (this could be a lube problem, no?)
note: haven't disassembled the pump/bellhsg yet...
PLASTIC green thrust #1 washer
typical Overdrive drum - notches for sun adaptor a bit beat on one side
typical sun adaptor, beat up both sides, warped real good
typical planetary
broken center shaft, snapped
#3 AND #4 BEARINGS
Center Support with a date code of 20/99, for bearings, but no ID hub sleeve
the id for fwd clutch seals is chewed up

-edit - the center support has no GT prefix, probably from a 4R, it has the same front side as the snap shell A4LD(1.25mm cut down area for bearing), and on the back side, the entire #4 surface is cut down 1.25mm. It does have the cut back rear snout that would allow a #5 bearing as used with snap-shells(I believe it's 2mm ), but I think that snap shells suck.

snap-shell style direct drum, 6-pack
fwd clutch housing, broken input shaft area, 6-pcak
6-pinion int planetary w/bearings both sides
forward ring gear with a small area on one end OD that is not cut for teeth
forward ring gear hub adaptor, 1.580 id, 360 degrees of teeth, bushing and
the aforementioned bearing
sun shell without a washer on the back, a little scored
the rest is typical 4.0 setup.

I'm concerned about that bellhousing and pump. I'm damn surprised to find 4R and 5R parts!!! Please comment, I will write what I am doing in my next post.

-edit -
I would like to point out that my #4 thrust bearing is a selective, with 3 notches on the tab. This is NOT a #5 as used on the snout with snap shells. The #6 is ONE-PIECE crimped, must be from 5R per Brain's Frankentranny thread. I would like point out that ATSG saya that the thrust washer on the back of the sun shell is NOT used on 4.0 applications ! Insane! I would like to know why or why not to use a sun gear with bearings, it just seems stronger...although my output shaft has no oiling holes. I am in the process of modifying an older center support by removing 1.25mm of material from #3 and #4 surfaces to match my 20/99 center support with the gouged inner hub.

Thank you all!

Evil Jeff

can ya get us pics of each of these things ?

I might be able to borrow a camera from somebody, but I'm not absolutely positive. What I CAN do is reference your posts and Brain's posts as required. That's how I figured some of this stuff out. I have 3-ring binders that I have titled "A4LD Rebuild Diary by Glacier991" and "Frankentranny bt Brain" with the complete printouts in them. They're great reference books!

I would also like to know the procedure for uploading pics, is there a membership limitation to this, and or is there a thread with the procedure available to read?

Thanks in advance,
Evil Jeff

Back