Park, reverse and, neutral work but has NO DRIVE grears, HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Park, reverse and, neutral work but has NO DRIVE grears, HELP!

JLoveland

Reaction score
City, State
josiah.loveland@gmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4WD
I have a '94 explorer 4wd auto trans. It will shift into reverse or park with only a slight 4sec delay but OD, D, 2, and 1 give it a 90sec to never delay on the shift. Once in gear It shifts just smooth between 1, 2, 3, etc.... It has ATF and I changed the trans vacuum modulator.

I think it may be a vacuum problem because about a couple weeks ago it only took 4 to 8 seconds to shift. then one day I went to start the motor but didnt crank it long enough and the vacuum lines blew off the tree. 1 of them I capped off to smooth out the engines idle however that seemed to make the shifting issue worse. When I removed the cap it idled rough but it would shift sooner.

Now any forward moving gears are unavailable. It sounds like it want to go in gear but just wont.

Any suggestions before I say forget it and sell it?

You said it has ATF, but has it been inspected lately? Have you changed the transmission filter lately?

I havnt checked the filter but would it go into reverse just fine if the was the problem?

What does your fluid look like? Is it pretty badly burnt?

If the answer is yes, start planning on replacing or rebuilding your transmission.

Back