• Register Today It's free!

A4LD junior Shift kit HELP

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
I've read the VB rebuild diary and the instructions several times, but have a few question. Please help...

regarding the:

1) Custom Direct clutch rings and C3 black plastic washer (instead of the OEM bronze washer), how much disassembly is required to install these and where??? I didn't see this addressed in the VB rebuild diary and how important is this?

2) Reverse Piston. Where is this? I didn't see it addressed in the VB diary.

3) what is the best way to replace the front seal... dig it out from the front or remove the bell housing and knock it out from the backside?

Thanks.

Transgo often includes parts in their kits which are for internal use during a rebuild. Those are not necessary for an in car valve body upgrade.

What my good friend Don said. Don't worry about those. The front pump seal is able to be repoaced both ways, best done in my oipinion with the bellhousing removed, and the pump bushing replaced and turned in place... but you can remove it with the trans out and without removing the bellhousing, it is just a lot of work and more difficult to replace, but can be done.... and if your trans is factory original (eg no rebuilds) the pump and bushing will be ok alignment wise.

ok, i took the bell housing off to replace the front seal which was, in my opinion, the only way to do it without damaging something else. While I had the bell off, I installed the 2 Custom Direct Clutch rings but I couldn't reinstall the bell. I checked to make sure they were all seated and even wiped a thin layer of vaseline over them but still no go. I figured something was a miss, so I reused the OEM rings and everything went back together.

Anyway, just an FYI...

Back