A4LD problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD problems

It does take a couple of minutes of running while shifting the gears, to circulate all of the air out. So wait to test it until you know the fluid level is stable and in the cross hatch of the dipstick. From empty the whole system should take around 12 quarts of ATF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the filter, I never had an extension and my old box worked fine for many years, but I intend to change it quickly after rolling a bit to collect any waste that it might be there, and I will put one with the extension
for the level I will wait a bit and check the level regularly, on the other hand I have a question for the OD band, I don't know if these a single or double wrap, how do I know, my box is a 92GT I don't don't know more

if I loosen the OD band 3.5 turns and it is a simple wrap is it dangerous or bad for the box?

ok, first try, in first and reverse very well, in 2 very good, in D or OD it remains in first and does not pass the second, neutral and park no problem, the fluid level is good, an idea?

You need the correct filter on it, if it isn't it may be sucking up some air all of the time.

in Europe we have this part

56010aa-a4ld-filter.JPG

The pickup opening needs to be down close to the pan bottom, say 3/8" at the most from it. I think that pictured may be a big issue. Try to look for a filter for a 93 Explorer 4WD, and see what that looks like there. Some A4LD's have deeper pans so the shallow pans cannot use the deeper 4WD filter type. But it sounds like a mismatch of those you have right now. Which pan is on yours, you might also need to change to a deeper pan, the Bronco II could use it?

The pickup opening needs to be down close to the pan bottom, say 3/8" at the most from it. I think that pictured may be a big issue. Try to look for a filter for a 93 Explorer 4WD, and see what that looks like there. Some A4LD's have deeper pans so the shallow pans cannot use the deeper 4WD filter type. But it sounds like a mismatch of those you have right now. Which pan is on yours, you might also need to change to a deeper pan, the Bronco II could use it?
Don is correct, if your using a 2wd filter on a 4wd you will have lots of problems. This is one style of the 4wd filter
Screenshot_20210309-101510_Chrome.jpg

ATP B-94 ATP Automotive B-94 Filter Kit

Here is another

Screenshot_20210309-102055_Chrome.jpg
Here is the Motorcraft FT-85 https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...utomatic-transmission-filter-kit/ft85/4485428

ok I'm going to order one from Rockauto but it takes a week to get it, I'll keep you posted

@Henri56 It may have been said but when TOWING with the rear gear that you have (or any gear for that matter) use DRIVE gear instead of OVERDRIVE gear.

Which pan style do you have?
32E1D620-AE05-40FB-B702-1C6E6E2E2D85.jpeg
182D457C-BA2C-4590-9D17-9CA8D8931BB8.jpeg

i have this
1615379619011.png

it is not original, I changed it for ease of emptying

yes but i need to wait 1 week for the shipement

deep filter replace, first test on the road, reverse works very well, 1 and 2 in manual very well but does not go to D, downshift to 1, I had to make changes on the linkage, on the Bronco it is a Mechanical linkage and on the box that I gave it was by cable, not sure that the setting is properly adjusted, for info, this box has been stopped for a long time, the modulator or a servo that sticks?

Well, you have a VB that you should trust is very good. You don't know completely what the prior owners did with the trans. So I would replace all of the items that you can readily, including the modulator valve, and all solenoids and accumulators. So which of those you haven't yet changed, I would work at doing those.

The linkage may be an issue too, try hard to use the proper OEM parts for the A4LD in a Bronco II. The manual control valve inside the trans, has a needed travel distance between each gear position. Using non OEM parts may alter that and have the manual valve in between selections at some points. The adjustment for that linkage is simple, but it needs to be done when the parts are first put on. I don't recall that procedure, but it would be wise to check it to be sure it's correct.

the lift assy is a little longer but I cannot find the exact reference of my model for the Bronco, there are several kinds

last news, I put an adjustable vacuum modulator, redo the adjustment of the bands, I adjusted the linkage a little better but still no passage in third.

For the vacuum modulator, you have to tighten or loosen so that the gears pass faster?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The modulator doesn't control the gears, but only the shift quality and firmness. The pin behind it can be lengthened(replacement) by 1/8" to firm the shifts more then the inherent modulator function. That helped both my 91 and 93 A4LD's.

Can you make contact with Sonnax, and ask them if they can give any input about your A4LD malfunctioning, given it's their VB you are using? I don't know how their customer service is, I've loved their products for many many years. Hopefully they have put the same kind of effort into their customer service.

Back