• Register Today It's free!

A4LD took a dump...

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
About an hour and a half into its maiden voyage, I crested the last hill of the day. Walked back to check the guy behind me and after making sure he was fine I followed a drip trail... back to my Ex and under my transmission. At this point I don't know what happened- I'm hoping I just overheated the transmission and it'll be fine to top it off and drive it home now that it's cooled off a couple hours, but I'll just have to see. I hope I don't have to come back with a trailer.

Time for a 5spd swap!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...A trans cooler with a fan would help if all it is, is overheating...I would suggest a new filter and tranny fluid just to be safe...The tranny fluid does not recover after it's been over heated...

I added six quarts of ATF and drove it 50 miles back home without a hitch. Going to the junk yard in the morning with the hopes they haven't crushed the M5OD 4x4 Navajo.

Picked up a 5spd from a 91 Navajo this morning.

...Considering your A4LD holds 10 quarts and 3 of those are in the torque converter, I would say finding the M50D when you did was pretty lucky...

...They can overheat too, but definitely not as quick as an auto tranny...

No doubt man! I wanted to go manual anyway, so this was a perfect reason. The Navajo was infested with wasps, though. Even up in the dash. Dad and I had to spray 'em down with wasp spray, work, then spray again when the survivors came back pissed off. Wasn't too bad, but it took a loooong time. Must have spent three hours just pulling everything.

...Wasp' will leave you with stories to tell your grand kids...:D

...If you install a new clutch and slave now, you will be set for a lot of good wheeling..You just need to get used to a clutch offroad but, splitting twin sticks is really nice if you go all manual...:biggthump

I know the tricks to wheeling a stick- rocked a Sami for a year or so. Planning to move the parking brake to a hand brake eventually, so I can use it on inclines. I wasn't going to replace the cylinders, but the old clutch fluid was roasted so I probably will to be on the safe side.

splitting twin sticks is really nice if you go all manual...:biggthump
Splitting twin sticks? Something I'm missing here?

...Manual tranny, Manual Transfer case, and if you want to be able to walk up a steep hill faster than your X could crawl, add a doubler...:D

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah- manual case is on the list, but I was just offered a D35 with Lockrite and 4.56s for $350 so a regear may be my next move.

Get that **** out of my thread.

hey man relax sorry if i really offended but i thought we were here to help eachother out?

meat.. howd your truck do offroad with the 2" lift and 34s? how was the clearance? howd it flex? yesterday when i was out with some guys from a local offroad club I noticed that if i kept it in low range, trans in low 1, i could crawl over anything and the trans temp stayed down. it was when we had to hit pavement for a few miles to get to other trails and I was winding up hills that the trans started to get a little too warm. I need to regear.. when i have the money.

It handled great, man. I did some fairly thorough trimming up front, both on the sheet metal and the poly inner. I'll try to get some pictures to post up. I wanted to make sure there would be no rub, but still keep the mud out of the engine bay.

This thing flexes surprisingly well compared to the Jeeps and Samurai I've had (but really- what can't outflex a Sami?) so I'm not sure how different it was from the lift, and I didn't wheel it stock so I can't really compare. I can say I went lock to lock while different tires were getting stuffed and everything worked out great.

I'm very impressed with this rig and extremely glad I made this choice over another Jeep.

my explorer is actually my first four wheeler with an automatic and i'm likin it a lot better myself. but i have had to rebuild the a4ld once so far. the a4ld hates getting hot; it will spew out the front seal if it overheats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dillon- that's exactly what happened to me. I'm going manual. Screw the auto.

Back